Caribou Gear

First shot at jerky....

SFC B

So, my birthday was last week and it was a good time. Got a couple of gift cards and some cash so I finally pulled the trigger on a dehydrator annnnnd......BAM!! Antelope jerky!! First try and it is pretty good (at least the Hunting Princess is now on 3rds ;) ). I will tweak the marinade a little next time for a little more spice but I am pretty excited. I got the Bass Pro model with the digital thermostat and timer.

I've gone to using burger for jerky in a jerky gun. Huge hit at our house. One suggestion, keep notes as to what you do so you can replicate it or not.

I'm not wasting antelope on jerky! Maybe a rutted up old mule deer buck or some elk since it's hard to eat it all.

I also just grind all mine and make jerky with a jerky gun. I use all the high mountain seasoning packs and i like the peppered the best. I double or triple the recommended seasoning but keep the cures weight appropriate.

The High Mountain seasoning packs are awesome, but like wolfpup hinted at, don't go by their recommendations. There's a spice & seasoning shop called Savory Spice, they have a location in the Springs and I highly recommend going there and checking them out. They have all sorts of sausage, jerky and other seasonings & spices for wild game. I like to use High Mountains recommendations for their spices & cure, then add a shot of worchestire sauce and a few shots of seasoning from the spice shop. I'll experiment with what seasonings work best and if you go to that shop, Red Cloud Peak & Juniper Berry Blend has been our favorites so far.

Thanks for the heads up JLDemo, I will check it out next time I am up in the Springs.

High Mountain Jerky mixes are very good as are Hi-Country mixes that are made in Lincoln Montana.. You can order their mixes on-line. Depending on the one I'm using of the mixes, regular jerky mix or one of the others, I like to mix it a little stronger than what they call for. Say the recipe calls for 25 pounds of meat for the package of mix, I might just do 20 pounds so the flavor is a bit stronger. One thing I think makes a difference is to mix your meat with the jerky mix very well. Take a few minutes extra when you mix it together. I also like to have it sit in the fridge overnight, and if I don't get it all done, it might be a couple nights in the fridge before I have it all made into jerky on the dehydrator. I think it blends in to the meat a bit better and the taste is more even throughout.

https://shop.hicountry.com/make-your-own-jerky-seasonings-c8.aspx

Thanks for the pointers everybody....hopefully I will have enough meat this winter to give this joker a workout!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back