MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pack goats - Elk 2017

Sounds like a heck of a hunt and that spike is gonna be some good eating. I'm glad we don't have any snow to deal with during the archery hunt in AZ, but cooler temps would be nice. Best part of all is that you shared info and your love of hunting that big country with the guys from Wisconsin. Everyone should be so lucky as to learn some shortcuts and be part of an arrowed bull on their first trip.

Get it done, D-S!

How many goats do you run? How much weight do they carry? Last I checked they were not a good combo with horses... as they like to stay tight with humans and can get muddled in with the horse space while trudging down the trail... Seems yours might end up mingling with your new hunt mate's horse(s)? I have horses and would like to know - future brain rumblings already giving me a head-ache... haha!

BTW - good on ya for your support of their hunt. I wish the best for all of ya though rootin' for you to drop a bull. ;) GREAT pics, btw! Pretty cool goats.

On this particular hunt I ran 3 goats. IMO 5 goats is perfect for elk hunting, I prefer 2 to 3 for mule deer hunting. I use the 30% of there body weight rule for my goats, but that is max, not what they would carry all the time. I generally like to keep it at about 30-40 lbs on a daily basis. These guy's were not the guy's with the horses. My goats are used to horse's, some of them anyway. I used to rent part of my pasture out too a horse gal that had 2 horses. They mingle quite well, they get used to each other. Some freak out, but that's a horse for you LOL. The white/black and the bigger brown goat hauled my spike out in 1 trip boned out, split the 110lbs of boned out meat between the 2 of them, about a 3 mile pack out, mostly down hill.
Matt

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back