Idaho Upland Game Hunter

justinbowhunter

I have a 1 year old GSP and I’m a newbie upland game hunter. I’m just looking for help on where to locate quail, chukar and/or pheasants. Appreciate any help. I’ve put on 14 miles so far with no action. So just looking for someone willing to help a guy out.

Justin
Kuna, ID

Apologies in advance if you already know this stuff:

Learn to look for good habitat.

Chukars like grassy, cliffy slopes. They don't depend much on water later in the fall, but do depend on fall green up like cheat grass shoots. I like hunting ridge lines and the upper basins right off the top. Northern or southern aspect preference will vary based on feed availability. They roost in the cliffs and will feed off the roost in the morning.

Quail like dense cover. Russian olives, blackberries, creek bottoms are great. Especially where there is some sagebrush cover nearby.

Pheasants, where I hunt I focus on riparian areas and any CRP and/or ag lands adjacent to that.

A typical chukar day for me is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 miles and 2-3k feet of vertical.

Edit: I see your dog is a year old. What is his hunting exposure/experience? Is he acting birdy? He may still be developing his ability to use his nose and search effectively. Make sure you are giving him time to work and not just speed walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
JLS.

I like your Cliff notes. One of the most informative posts on here.

I haven't hunted birds in years, but was impressed by the post.

JLS.

I like your Cliff notes. One of the most informative posts on here.

I haven't hunted birds in years, but was impressed by the post.

Thank you. A desert quail hunt is on my bucket list. Find me some quail in the Land of Enchantment and I'll supply the dog, beer, and good humor. :)

Edit: As an aside, I find it much more valuable to help folks understand WHAT they are looking for rather than WHERE to go. Teach a man to fish....

If I lived where you lived I'd be in the Owyhee's every chance I got. I love that type of country. Find some rimrock and have at it. I spent a couple nights hiking on the Oregon side this past spring and there were plenty of cackling chukars. Plenty of snakes too...

Thanks for the help.

He did well today. Got into a small covey of quail. He’s still learning but is doing very good for 1 yrs old. I don’t mind walking, just like to get pointed in a general direction.

Back