Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A contrast to the nfl player thread

onpoint

Divisiveness and polarization is easy - cooperation and unity is hard.
But the rewards are worth it - case in point:

Few years back, a very popular private but accessible fishing site - an icon on Montana's Madison River - was in danger of going away.
A mix of various NGO's (thanks Alex Diekmann, posthumously), cooperative and concerned landowners, concerned and invested anglers, and various others came together to preserve and conserve this access for the public.

Today, the colors on the Madison are just starting to pop, the Browns are making their annual migrations, and this group of fishermen were able to come from across the country to enjoy truly awesome scenery and fish a beautiful place - Three Dollar Bridge.

Truly cool stuff. No philosophy, pontification, nor rhetoric - just action for a common interest in something folks have a true appreciation and reverance towards.
I'll take action over bloviation anyday...............
IMG_3br.jpg

This is an everybody wins, no down side, documented, feel good, public access to recreation and resources victory.
Folks acting locally to benefit themselves and others nation (hell, world) wide.
Provides positive economic impacts to make the conservative money grubbers happy and aesthetic and recreational benefits to make liberal feel gooders smile (joking - feel free to get undies in knots). Something for everyone.
Positive shit.
Think this will get 70 some replies???????

My family has been fishing the Madison for over 70 years, know it well. Lochs, not Browns!, sorry, it's just that I'm old school, but you call me what you want.

My family has been fishing the Madison for over 70 years, know it well. Lochs, not Browns!, sorry, it's just that I'm old school, but you call me what you want.

Divisiveness is easy - you proved my point:) Maybe next time we have to assault Helena to drive a point home, I'll see you there?

It's a good place. It may not be yours to enjoy if things would have turned out different a few years ago - a very distinct possibility if not for some effort and dedication on the part of some.
If you are grateful for that place, maybe show up for the next possible public victory.
maybe see you up there sometime........

It's a good place. It may not be yours to enjoy if things would have turned out different a few years ago - a very distinct possibility if not for some effort and dedication on the part of some.
If you are grateful for that place, maybe show up for the next possible public victory.
maybe see you up there sometime........

I'm new to Montana, but I'm very grateful for those who came before me.

I'm new to Montana, but I'm very grateful for those who came before me.

Me too, only been here since 1984. Also very grateful for those who came before me - that's why it's my turn to step up. One of the reasons I live here and plan to stay - Mt's stream access law.
I have a very dear friend who was one of those instrumental in the implementation of this jewel ($3 Bridge is directly tied to this law). I owe it to him to honor that legacy. Another reason I plan to stay, still a lotta' things need to be addressed here. Lot of opportunity to make things better........................

I just commented yesterday to a co-worker how fortunate we were to have such a great stream access law, unlike places like Colorado where I've done some fishing. In Colorado if you're floating through private land, you can't even drop an anchor.

MT stream access law.
Another great example of getting together and getting something accomplished. In the days before the benefits afforded by the world wide web, some locals (Butte guys) got pissed off about a situation, got together, got more people on board, got lawyers, and got something done.
Action(s) initiated by a few, garnered more support, and produced something that is now somewhat of a gold standard for American Stream Access Law. Been challenged over and over and so far has withstood those tests. A few years ago a legislative challenge to this law brought folks from all over the state together again - this unity helped turn back that challenge also........

Great picture and amazing spot. I spent many a day in my youth driving up to pick up those $3 envelopes... and shooting gophers.

Glad it was saved for all.

Love that place. It's been too long since I've fished it.

A heartfelt thanks to all who helped in the effort.

Thanks for the refreshing reminder of why we do this. Your last two posts; this one, and the one about your Dad, have been a great relief from the normal rancor that some seem to spend their time focusing on.

And thanks for mentioning one of the many pieces of amazing work by our great friend, who was taken way too soon, Alex Diekman. Never do I drive the Madison Valley, hike/hunt Taylor's Fork, or see people taking advantage of the Three Dollar Bridge, without thinking of Alex. He and I had a monthly coffee meeting to brainstorm on public access projects. A non-hunter who did more for hunting access than anyone I know. I still have his last voice mail saved on my phone, even during his battle with cancer, saying, "When you get your ass home for more than a day, call me; got something we need to get moving on."

Great post Onpoint. Our family cabin is only a few miles from there. I deeply appreciate those who's foresight gave us all places as beautiful to enjoy as $3 Bridge. Thank you.

Divisiveness is easy - you proved my point:) Maybe next time we have to assault Helena to drive a point home, I'll see you there?

Onpoint, not sure if you were offended by my Loch-Brown comment, it wasn't intended to be a divissive comment, more a good natured ribbing of sorts, like when my 2 daughters (MSU grads) torture me about being a Griz fan, they are relentless! I've followed most of your posts since being a part of this forum and find little if anything to disagree with you about, appreciate your posts. When it comes to public land issues I'll always be there to drive home that point to whichever dumbass knothead needs convincing.

Nothing more satisfying than catching big Lochs or Loch Levens....

Back