Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Headed to Wyoming in 2 weeks!

Four22

I don't post a ton on here but do LOTS of reading...

My father and I along with my cousin are headed to Wyoming in 2 weeks for a deer and antelope hunt. Region J for deer and unit 30 for antelope on private land.

I've only been out west for 1 hunt 18 years ago and hope to make it a more regular trip from here forward...

Anyone have any last bits of advice for us?

I would say to take lots of pictures and try to take in your experiences....not just whether you harvest or not. I realize that the $$$ of a trip will add some pressure to harvest but if you can be ready to get maximum enjoyment out of it as a trip and then DO harvest it will be all the better. Especially as you are going with loved ones, memories are treasures you will keep for ever.

its going to be a memorable trip no matter what happens. i'm not expecting a trophy hunt by any means so anything is a trophy along with the memories.

Good luck! Just remember to post pics for those of us that can't go this year. Never been in 30, but watch for cactus - good gloves and knee pads can help if it's plentiful.

Good luck sounds like a great time! Be sure to post pictures for those of us physically at work and mentally in Wyoming

As stated above, take the time to take it all in, and take lots of pictures of everything, not just the hunt.

I can usually see some antelope from my living room window, so I spend a lot of time watching them. A few tips that I give anyone who is going after them.
1) Their vision is much better than you can possibly imagine.
2) You will never catch up to them if they're moving away from you; when they're walking, they're moving much faster than it appears.
3) The meat is delicious, but you absolutely must get it cooled off quickly. I really can't emphasize this enough.
4) They're one of the cleanest animals out there; don't be afraid to take the heart, liver, tongue, and nuts.

T minus 12 hours till departure. Just have to get through the day today and we're off!

Leaving this morning for round two of Elk season. Archery last month, rifle this time. Not solo this time so it will feel different having a friend along. After applying as a party many times in Wyoming we finally drew.

Day 1: saw lots of Antelope and a few deer... saw 100 head of elk and had the monster 6x6 heard bull at 195 yards standing broadside. Too bad I don’t have a bull tag......

Tomorrow will hopefully bring a few on the ground!

Day 2: Got on a heard of 45 antelope. 1.5 hours and a couple miles later... meat on the ground!!

4B11C1BA-484A-41C2-AD1A-6F496A205EAC.jpg

Tomorrow brings mule deer hunting👍👍

Back