Boots ( HELP )

tmvikings

I need a light weight non insulated water proof pair of boots. Sick and tired of getting wet feet and or maybe getting one year from boots. What do you recommend for out west boots that can handle cactus and still remain water proof.

Thanks

After 25 years I have my first pair of boots that have stayed dry beyond the 2 day 20 mile threshold.
Hanwag Alaska
The rest were leaking almost instantly. Goretex in a hiker/ light boot is about as close to a scam as there is in my experience. A flexible boot will stretch or tear the liner in short order. Then there are companies that stitch right thru it. If you want waterproof, get a real boot that doesn't flex much.

Failures: lowa renegade, Lowa zephyr, lowa cevedale pro, danner pronghorn, danner hiker of some sort, salomon quest 4d, Merrell hikers(3 different pair), Vasquez breeze, rocky of some sort, and some I happily forgot.

Oh, and buy/order from rei. One year return and I've used it a bunch. You can order almost any brand from them.

To defend against cactus I suggest all leather (zero Cordura) and a healthy rubber rand (Meindl, Zamberlan, Lowa, Hanwag). Most won't be considered "light" compared to boots like Solomon Questa or Lowa Renegades.

My experience with Meindl Denali is positive however they will soak through after being wet for awhile...as said above Goretex isn't what it used to be. Water does wick down my socks when hiking in wet vegetation so also consider a pair of gaiters.

Last edited:
Danner has a good selection of boots, I've hunted in one pair of Danner's hard for over 20 years before they started to fail on me...I still have them and use them as back ups

I'm wearing my Kenetrek mountain extreme right now and have for the last several days on a kinda wet antelope hunt and my feet have remained dry except for sweat. They are uninsulated, and also have a pair of gaiters I wouldn't trade all the tea in China for. I have never had a set before now, and now I won't be without a set.

I, too have tried a lot and the Schnees Beartooth is amazing. Their customer service is the best out there. Period. From the minute you put them on, you realize they are in a different league than the others.

I have not tried Kenetreks but have heard some people love them and some people don't like them. Take that for what you paid for it!

You wanted mountain boots and the Beartooth are mountain boots. Many of those listed above are not mountain boots. Yes, you can wear them in the mountains, but that doesn't make them great options for mountain travel.

My uninsulated boots are lowa tibets. I like them a lot. My insulated boots are the cabelas meindl boots, they are nice as well. I have several creek crossings in the area I hunt and both these boots have done well for several years so far. I treat mine with obenhaufs lp wax religiously which makes a big difference.

Back