Bison robe

wytex

Got my cow bison robe back from Moyle Mink and Tannery today and again they did a great job. Got it about 3 months before I expected it and cost is still a bargain, $432 plus shipping.
She was a 4 1/2 yr old cow taken on the NER on Wyoming tag. I'll post a pic soon.

I have a tanned hide from the cow I shot in SD. I've long thought about turning it into a robe. Would be the ultimate in cool. For that price, I just may have to see if they can do it.

How does it smell? I sent a deer hide out and it came back so strong of chemicals we couldn't use it. Even after airing it out for years it still was too strong. I want one that we could use for a garment project.

The hide is airing out now. I should be more clear, it is a hide, robe, not a garment.
It will take a few days to air out but after that will be fine. Last years cow took about a week or 2 to air out . Now it has no chemical smell.
IMG_0195 (800x732).jpg

Thats cool. I would have had them trim a pair of underwear out at least... Help get the wife all wound up

FWIW, in Western MT here at the bison range they do a round up every fall. You can bid on a bison and then split the meat with guys. Every once in awhile I'll see the hide on CL for $100.

Gotcha on the robe part. I've strongly considered getting one made into a coat ala Legends of the Fall! :D

Mine was supposed to have a hair on garment tan done. I guess I don't really know what the difference is, I told the Taxadermy shop what I wanted and they did the rest. Shoot me a PM after you get it done and let me know how it turned out. I may try again and send one out there.

That looks good. I love the work moyles does on my critters they are top notch for sure. Did you have to flesh and Dry it or did they take it green?

We salted and dried it to send them, took only a few days to get it ready. Fleshing is the hardest part. Careful skinning in the field will reduce your fleshing time greatly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back