Do you carry a pistol while Bowhunting?

Jdubrr

Do you carry it on your hip belt of your backpack or do you use a drop leg holster? I'm torn between the two if I have to drop my pack to do a stalk I don't want to leave the pistol sitting around even though I know no one would be around to take it. What say you?

I keep mine on my belt. Always in the same place. Muscle memory is what will draw that gun, not your conscious decision.

Yes, I carry concealed wherever i legally can. Lots of two legged undesirables out there unfortunately

I don't bow hunt, but isn't it illegal to carry a firearm while bowhunting in many places? I don't know but something to consider I suppose.

I don't bow hunt, but isn't it illegal to carry a firearm while bowhunting in many places? I don't know but something to consider I suppose.

Check local laws. But in MT it is legal.

In NC its legal. I always carry a pistol when bow hunting. Mainly because of snakes but also quite a few bobcats and coyotes here in NC.

Legal in SD so long as you have the legal right to do so. WY as well.

I carry on my pack belt. Same place as my holster without a pack on. Just out of curiosity have you ever worn a drop leg holster and hiked very far? If not it's not a great experience especially if you are climbing deadfall and trying to go through brush.

I carry on my pack belt. Same place as my holster without a pack on. Just out of curiosity have you ever worn a drop leg holster and hiked very far? If not it's not a great experience especially if you are climbing deadfall and trying to go through brush.

I second its not the most comfortable way to carry. However, I also wore one for many years in the Military and over a lot of miles on foot while deployed. You will get used to it but just make sure you dont go cheap. I'd get one of the nicer Blackhawk drop leg holsters and spend some time adjusting it to get the fit right.

I'm a rifle hunter but always carry a 22lr Buckmark on my belt. Lots of grouse in my neck of the woods just begging to become camp dinner!!

I always carry a pistol, not so much from being worried about animals but I bass fish a lot and more than once have come back to a boat ramp where vehicles have broken into...never had that happen while hunting but as its always a possibility I make sure I always have one on me. I carry a S&W shield inside the waistband.

I carry mine on my belt. I used to go without it a lot. Once I ran into a mountain lion that just wouldn't leave me alone. Just hung around and kept hanging around even after I thought I'd scared him off. That was the most unnerving situation I've ever had while hunting. I never head out hunting or hiking without bear spray or a pistol anymore.

Most wildlife you encounter will be a cloud of dust on the horizon as soon as they see you, but there's always a surprise or two out there.

For the last two seasons I carried a G20 on my pack waist strap. I didn't like it. It added weight to the belt getting in and out of the pack and I didn't have it on me if I wasn't wearing my pack. This season I've carried my pistol in a Kenai chest holster. Fantastic! It's on me 100% of the time. The load is no burden. It's comfortable. I've carried it so far for 14 days busting brush in the Idaho Panhandle chasing elk this season and couldn't be happier. Secure. Comfortable. Out of the way and completely accessible. Best solution I've found for carrying a handgun while hunting.

For the last two seasons I carried a G20 on my pack waist strap. I didn't like it. It added weight to the belt getting in and out of the pack and I didn't have it on me if I wasn't wearing my pack. This season I've carried my pistol in a Kenai chest holster. Fantastic! It's on me 100% of the time. The load is no burden. It's comfortable. I've carried it so far for 14 days busting brush in the Idaho Panhandle chasing elk this season and couldn't be happier. Secure. Comfortable. Out of the way and completely accessible. Best solution I've found for carrying a handgun while hunting.

I've looked at these holsters, they seem really nice. Not cheap, but nice.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back