Do you carry a pistol while Bowhunting?

I carry mine on my belt. Belt is designed to actually carry the weight of a pistol.
When hunting i open carry(aka not concealed).

Legal in PA as long as you have permit to carry.

I use either my 1911, or for quick scouting trips my Walther PPS.

Where i hunt the game commission drops off their problem bears nearby.
Also coyote, packs sometimes.
That and thick cover means close encounters sometimes.
Elk 2 yards away is VERY intimidating!

I carry one only when whitetail hunting in Indiana. I use it for coyotes, bullet is cheaper than an arrow! I use a .357 Ruger GP100 and carry it in a Bianchi side holster with a matching belt.

Handgun on my belt, bear spray on my pack's hip belt. I've never needed either, but I don't want to be out there without them. Running into a grizzly while hiking into the backcountry alone in the dark or while quartering an animal, and not-so-nice 2 legged critters are all possibilities. I like to be prepared for them. For me, it's just like bringing along fire-starter or a first aid kit-plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I only do it in heavy grizz country and that is not much anymore if at all anymore. For whatever reason I have no fear of black bear even though they can be just as bad. The only reason I carry the gun over spray is you can't fly with the spray and you can with a gun. I had a buddy who had to toss his spray twice, and that is $$$$ gone.

I carry bear spray and a .44 magnum 4" revolver when archery hunting in the mountains always. Bear spray isn't worth much when the wind is in your face or it's raining hard.
I had a grizzly pass me at 10 yards when I found myself sharing a pack trail with him and had nowhere to go.
I've always carried cross draw to keep it from interfering with my bow, but I'm switching to a chest holster after this season.
I carry a 329PD Magna ported..I think it weighs 22oz unloaded
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-329pd
I once carried a S&W .44 magnum 6" stainless but it kept ending up under the seat of the truck. If you are going to bother, buy something with a heavy grain bullet and light enough that you will carry it.

Last edited:
I was camping alone outside my truck on a mule deer bowhunt, usually when I sleep it's more like I am dead to the world... however something woke me up. I found two unsavory types walking in the predawn to towards my truck, keep in mind this was a 5 am and I was parked about 200 yards off the the forest service road on a pull in. They didn't have a good explanation as to what they where doing and you better believe they saw my glock in hand. Two legged creatures are what we need to worry about.

Dont own one, but its on my shopping list for next year. (don't hunt griz country so need to figure out what to purchase) A friend of mine had a interesting encounter this year with a tom that did not want to leave when he came in to quarter his bull. Things got real interesting real quick he thought the cat would run away, the cat must of thought he would run away.

Although I rarely carry, I have tried all kinds of holsters and as much as I thought the chest holster looked too.........you know, Rambo-ish. It was super comfortable and what I would go with.

I might start carrying bear spray as I have had a few run ins with aggressive dogs and their equally stupid owners. Should work well on both I think!

With the chest holster...does it interfere with your bino harness? And pack? Just carrying my pack and bino harness together seems as much bulk as I'd want on my chest...especially if I'm planning on shooting a bow.

I'm in the mountains over 250 days a year and never needed one.

For bow hunting, it would be illegal here.

btw It's always good to put your location , or at least where you're going to hunt so we can give a better answer.

Although I rarely carry, I have tried all kinds of holsters and as much as I thought the chest holster looked too.........you know, Rambo-ish. It was super comfortable and what I would go with.

I might start carrying bear spray as I have had a few run ins with aggressive dogs and their equally stupid owners. Should work well on both I think!

Note there is a difference in strength between "bear spray" and the pepper spray for 2 legged critters. Surprisingly, the bear spray is not as strong, but it shoots further.

OWB belt carry. Would prefer a nice shoulder rig but never could find one that is comfortable to wear all day with my G20.

Note there is a difference in strength between "bear spray" and the pepper spray for 2 legged critters. Surprisingly, the bear spray is not as strong, but it shoots further.

Noted, I will research in more detail. The extra distance is a good thing

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back