MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Man Cave/Shop Ideas

Nemont

I am in the process of building a 40x50 shop/man cave, it has 14 foot side walls, and 2 12x12 garage doors, radiant floor heat, interior is going to be finished with OSB so I can hang things kind of anywhere. Was wondering if any of you guys have pictures of ideas of how your man cave was set up?

Any advice on storage solutions, shelving, etc. Anything you wished you did different, things you are glad you did while building?

Nemont

Lots to pick up here: http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/33-farm-shops-tools/

What are your other hobbies? Wood, metal...old cars... Almost always should build a lean to on one or both sides, even if you do it later on - build this one with that in mind. Could always enclose the lean to portion later on as well. I put a picture of one built that way. Shop first, cold storage on left side(longer then original shop) then on the right side the lean to was built with plumbing and now a rv is parked there and they have kitchen/bathroom access. All built at different times as needs changed and finances allowed. If they would have built it right next to something else that would have never happened.
Untitled.jpg

If you have big stuff (elk, moose) taxidermy that you will be displaying, extra studs at the planned hanging heights can make the placement so much easier and stronger. And taking a picture of said studding before the drywall or OSB goes up will help you remember where you put the "extras".

And while you are creating the layout, modern living seems to require more and more electrical outlets, and cables for this and that, so plan to have more of such stuff than you think you might need (perhaps including empty conduit for future applications.......who knew 20 years ago what CAT cable was??)

Anything you wished you did different, things you are glad you did while building?

Nemont

Floor drains! Do it now or wish you did later. Even if its only for a once a year scrub down.

Run good insulated speaker wire to the corners of the building before the OSB. Eventually you will want tunes and a good wire keeps the mice from chewing it up and ruining your enjoyment. You can find an old 5 channel set up at most second hand stores or Craigslist.

X2 on floor drains and prebathroom plumbing in the concrete.

Inset good sturdy j bolts for the brass pole.:)

Looking fwd to progress reports Nemont. I'm maxed out on lot space or would build a toy shop/cave in a heartbeat.

Since you put "shop" in the description as well, more outlets is always better as stated. But, another idea that I've seen and like was more lights than you think you need and if possible, one's that can move. I was in a shop that had LEDs on a rotating boom. They could pivot them over the workbench or the larger work area. Very handy. Plumb for a bathroom and plumb the bathroom for a urinal.

Inset good sturdy j bolts for the brass pole.:)

Looking fwd to progress reports Nemont. I'm maxed out on lot space or would build a toy shop/cave in a heartbeat.
Buy the neighbors out and use that whole place for a man cave and a place for me to stay. :D :D

x2 on the CAT5 cable, you never know if you're going to need it

Buy the neighbors out and use that whole place for a man cave and a place for me to stay.

You're not getting away without those boys....we'll make room.

I've a bud who has a sick set up...he's an engineer and his 'shop' looks like breaksrunner's reloading room. Spic and span and everything you can think of. Pneumatics, a beam winch, every tool in it's place...eat off the floor....and yes. pass thru doors.

Id second the drive through and the extra studs in the walls. take a pic before the osb goes up.

Floor drains, counter height power outlets, 220v, bathroom plumbing, extra studs for mounts, air lines, lights (more lights). All been discussed.

Over head storage, insulated garage doors also, even drains at the doors. Work bench that moves (even one long the wall that folds flat against it), welding table, basement gun safe/vault...

I'm still in the process of setting up a wood working shop in my 24x20 garage. However, one feature I added that I like more than any other thus far has been the overhead retractable power cords. Those things are awesome.

You're not getting away without those boys....we'll make room.

I've a bud who has a sick set up...he's an engineer and his 'shop' looks like breaksrunner's reloading room. Spic and span and everything you can think of. Pneumatics, a beam winch, every tool in it's place...eat off the floor....and yes. pass thru doors.
Not this year, but in the next year or two I plan for part of their Xmas vacation to be spent in TX on a hunt! Mom just doesn't know it yet... :cool:

Run good insulated speaker wire to the corners of the building before the OSB. Eventually you will want tunes and a good wire keeps the mice from chewing it up and ruining your enjoyment. You can find an old 5 channel set up at most second hand stores or Craigslist.

X2 on floor drains and prebathroom plumbing in the concrete.

I actually asked about running speaker wires and the guy who was the local expert advised me that the wireless speakers are so good that I wouldn't need to worry about in wall speakers. I am having the TV cable and such put in prior to the OSB going on.

Also I can drain into the sewer here in Glasgow America. I put in a pit when the floor and side walls were poured.

I guess I may be asking late in the process about what to add as I am very far into the project.

Garage19_zpshebdrb8t.jpg

garage14_zpspto1seoo.jpg

Garage13_zpsrvt5oaxz.jpg

garage6_zpsgyrwhjx0.jpg

garage7_zpsah11qddy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones