Nine Year Wait, Unit 53

That's a very cool buck, I like the extras growing off the backs and the loonnngg ivory tips, good mass as well, congrats to you

looks like you hit a home run I hope to have the same luck in 10 days

Great looking buck! What a hunt, great antelope, then you add in a doe and a mulie doe and some grouse and some scenery ...... Looks like a very nice rifle, mind sharing the details?

After 20 years of hardcore bow hunting, I have taken a new obsession. I want to put this in obsession with rifle hunting in a different light. It is about accuracy and with true accuracy, comes opportunity to shoot at greater distances, ethically. This gun is 6.5 x 284 Norma, and in my humble opinion, the best caliber out there for all big game. This is the third gun that I have set up, Proof Research barrel, Stiller action, Timney Calvin Elite Trigger and of course a McMillian stock. With the Night Force scope it weighs 9 pounds. This gun shoots 1/2" groups and at my range at home, it will consistently shoot 2.5 groups at 700 yards. This gun is set up for that range, much further than 700, the speed drops below acceptable levels, and I think energy levels are to low. For anyone that wants a custom gun, but does not want to pay the $7500.00 and higher, I buy the parts and then gave them to a great gun smith who puts it together. Doing this, the gun cost me half of the price of the guns that are featured on many of the shows that are discussed on various Outdoor/Sportsman TV shows.

I appreciate everyone's response. Wyoming is truly is a great place to hunt and trying to be drawn in AZ is nearly impossible! It's been almost 20 years, so I am grateful for such a fun hunt.

If you had to do it over would you pick the same unit? I have been considering 53 as well. I am currently sitting on 9PP and getting a little itchy to burn them on a Wyoming speed goat hunt. I too am in search of the elusive 80"er.

This is outstanding. Congrats and way to get everything out of that hunt! Too often we get focused on "the one" and miss all the other little stuff that can be just as great. Great buck!

Back