Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nine Year Wait, Unit 53

wagges

The day before the hunt we were met with snow and wind, only in Wyoming! When my brother and I left Arizona, it was 100 degrees. This hunt was a very enjoyable one for me, even though I did not meet my goal of an 80 inch antelope. I had scouted for four days and looked at about 200 bucks. I was able to video most, and then analyze them on my computer. The problem was, that most of the bucks are the same size 72 to 78 inches. I was never able to find the ONE. Last year I had seen two that I know would score around 82. My buck scores 78 6/8. I know a lot of hunters won't care about score, however I do because trying to guess the score is a lot of the fun to me.

We were able to hunt sage grouse at the same time and being from Arizona the fact that we able to hunt a different bird was almost has fun as the antelope for us. During the scout, I was also able to harvest a mule deer doe with my bow and during my hunt I also shot a doe antelope. While looking for Blue Grouse in the Medicine Bow National Forest, we were also able to see a bull moose rutting a cow. We had a lot of fun and I was glad to see it all come together. Unit 53 is great unit and Baggs is a great place to stay. My plan now is to start to build up points to go somewhere else, searching for the elusive 80 inch buck.

IMG_3345.jpg
IMG_3343.JPG
FullSizeRender (24).jpg

Sounds like a great trip. That's a very nice buck! Congratulations

53 was a unit I thought about spending my points on. I have 8 going into this years draw.
But I had yet to set foot in the unit.
I thought about 67 but when I actually scouted it, I was underwelmed....

Nice buck, and I'll bring my lab for sure.

Nice buck! I hunted elk in the Medicine Bow back in 2014, and it seemed like every time I drove anywhere in the unit I'd see a moose.

Great looking buck! What a hunt, great antelope, then you add in a doe and a mulie doe and some grouse and some scenery ...... Looks like a very nice rifle, mind sharing the details?

Dandy buck and good on you for taking the time to hunt sage grouse! Very cool bird. Trips like that make it hard to go home...

Wow congratulations! Great trip and story. A trip like yours is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back