Quail Hunting Near Mesquite Nevada

Dcallahan

Hey guys,
I am new to this forum, I have hunted big game for a long time now and would like to try something different. I have never done any upland game hunting but would like to get into some quail hunting and eventually get a gun dog. I am from St. George UT. and was wondering if anyone here has ever hunted quail near Mesquite Nevada? Is it worth exploring and hunting there? Where would be some places to get started? I don't mean to ask for anyone's honey hole. Just want to know some areas to get started, Thanks.

Also is anyone from St. George that hunts quail either in Arizona or Nevada near Mesquite?

Thanks Guys!

Take the Bunkerville exit just south of Mesquite. Take the first right after you cross the Virgin River. New Gold Butte road it will paved for about 20 miles or so When it turns to dirt just stay to the left at the forks, a hard left and you could end up in AZ. Not to worry a sign will let you know. Once you get down there a ways you can really just explore and see what flushes up. I go down to Devils Cove. The road can be rough a 4X4 or quad is recommended.

The best thing to do is read up on what type of quail(will most likely be gambles/Ca quail or mountain) you'll be going after in that area and then look for what they need/want. Cover, water, food. Get a call and learn some simple calls and then get out there. BTW don't over call. It helps if you can go with other people. The birds like to run and don't get discouraged, as they can be frustrating to shoot out west in the high sage. Damn little fighter pilots are up and turning around a big bush before you can even get your gun up sometimes. A dog will help keep them planted longer, so find a buddy with a dog.

Have fun. They are my favorite upland bird. BTW montana has 365 day no limit no license season. Woo hoo.

Hey Rsnk61, I have actually spent a lot of time out by Gold Butte. I know there area pretty good. I just never really paid attention to see if there were quail or not. I mostly just noticed all the rabbits!. Thanks for the tip! If you ever want a hunting bud let me know!

HunterCA- You really can hunt Gambel's all year round in Montana!? Thats sweet! are there quite a bit of birds there?

My uncle's neighbor there in Mesquite used to hunt them heavy in that area but I never got to go with him so don't know exactly where he hunted.

Sounds as if Rsnk61 has them staked out though. Good Luck!

Dcallahan, Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back, just been way busy. Have you been out chasing those little buggers? I haven't had a chance to get out and was thinking it's about time to do a little chasing of my own. Just curious of the numbers. I know the last couple of years there have been quite a down fall then the previous. So it is a little harder to get motivated.

Hey Rsnk61, Sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't gotten out into Nevada yet. I did got out a couple of weeks ago here in Utah right a long the Utah Nevada border. There were tones of birds! I got my limit and was only out for a few hours. The Utah quail season ends here at the end of the month. I will be heading to the Nevada side as soon as that happens. It has been good for my first season every hunting quail. I have also been doing some chukar hunting and have gotten a few of those as well. Any good suggestions on places to hunt chukar near Mesquite?

I haven't had alot of opportunities to hunt chukar. Let me know if you have any luck. Would really like to go chase some

I know this is a 3 year old post but I have interest in this OP.
I just joined this forum and looking forward to exchanging info.

I am 60 years old and my wife and I moved to Mesquite about 6 months ago after I retired. As a kid I grew up in southern Idaho on a 160 acre dairy farm and have been bird hunting off and on since the age of 8. This is my first upland season in Mesquite and I have been quail hunting on BLM land around Bunkerville with fair success. I don't have a dog so getting in range and downing/marking one bird at time takes a lot of discipline. I would like to meet other local hunters and partner up with someone who knows a bit more about upland bird hunting around Mesquite and SW Utah. I have a 4x4 Tundra and I am willing to drive.
If it turns out to be someone with a bird dog then that would even be better but not required since I have hunted most of my life without a dog. I did a lot of Chukar hunting as a teenager in S Idaho and really would like to get back into that. I read that Chukar can be found at higher elevations in the Mormon Mountains but I have not scouted this area yet. I have hiked and backpacked all my life and consider myself to be in pretty good condition and able to keep up with just about anybody.
So if any of you out there are looking for an occasional or lifelong hunting partner then let me know.

I am 60 years old and my wife and I moved to Mesquite about 6 months ago after I retired. As a kid I grew up in southern Idaho on a 160 acre dairy farm and have been bird hunting off and on since the age of 8. This is my first upland season in Mesquite and I have been quail hunting on BLM land around Bunkerville with fair success. I don't have a dog so getting in range and downing/marking one bird at time takes a lot of discipline. I would like to meet other local hunters and partner up with someone who knows a bit more about upland bird hunting around Mesquite and SW Utah. I have a 4x4 Tundra and I am willing to drive.
If it turns out to be someone with a bird dog then that would even be better but not required since I have hunted most of my life without a dog. I did a lot of Chukar hunting as a teenager in S Idaho and really would like to get back into that. I read that Chukar can be found at higher elevations in the Mormon Mountains but I have not scouted this area yet. I have hiked and backpacked all my life and consider myself to be in pretty good condition and able to keep up with just about anybody.
So if any of you out there are looking for an occasional or lifelong hunting partner then let me know.
Welcome aboard!

Because of the continuing drought conditions, quail hunting in Southern NV ain't what it used to be. They are there, just difficult to find. Several years ago near Searchlight we shot 18 of them, fast forward to now and you're lucky to see them except running through my backyard atop the fence. Chukar is a similar story down here. Up north you have different circumstances. All in all, our answer to this is to hunt with a dog and find water, of course.

Sorry for being a 4 years behind this thread and a year behind your post haha, but I’m a new hunter based out of Las Vegas and this thread/post was very helpful with getting me into some birds. Only been out a handful of times but would love to get out with someone as experienced as yourself if you’ll have me

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back