1. Default Quail Hunting Near Mesquite Nevada

Hey guys,
    I am new to this forum, I have hunted big game for a long time now and would like to try something different. I have never done any upland game hunting but would like to get into some quail hunting and eventually get a gun dog. I am from St. George UT. and was wondering if anyone here has ever hunted quail near Mesquite Nevada? Is it worth exploring and hunting there? Where would be some places to get started? I don't mean to ask for anyone's honey hole. Just want to know some areas to get started, Thanks.

Also is anyone from St. George that hunts quail either in Arizona or Nevada near Mesquite?

Thanks Guys!

Take the Bunkerville exit just south of Mesquite. Take the first right after you cross the Virgin River. New Gold Butte road it will paved for about 20 miles or so When it turns to dirt just stay to the left at the forks, a hard left and you could end up in AZ. Not to worry a sign will let you know. Once you get down there a ways you can really just explore and see what flushes up. I go down to Devils Cove. The road can be rough a 4X4 or quad is recommended.

3. Default

The best thing to do is read up on what type of quail(will most likely be gambles/Ca quail or mountain) you'll be going after in that area and then look for what they need/want. Cover, water, food. Get a call and learn some simple calls and then get out there. BTW don't over call. It helps if you can go with other people. The birds like to run and don't get discouraged, as they can be frustrating to shoot out west in the high sage. Damn little fighter pilots are up and turning around a big bush before you can even get your gun up sometimes. A dog will help keep them planted longer, so find a buddy with a dog.

Have fun. They are my favorite upland bird. BTW montana has 365 day no limit no license season. Woo hoo.

4. Default

Hey Rsnk61, I have actually spent a lot of time out by Gold Butte. I know there area pretty good. I just never really paid attention to see if there were quail or not. I mostly just noticed all the rabbits!. Thanks for the tip! If you ever want a hunting bud let me know!

HunterCA- You really can hunt Gambel's all year round in Montana!? Thats sweet! are there quite a bit of birds there?

My uncle's neighbor there in Mesquite used to hunt them heavy in that area but I never got to go with him so don't know exactly where he hunted.

Sounds as if Rsnk61 has them staked out though. Good Luck!
    Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, then it is not yet the end.

Dol dh'iarruidh an fhortain do North Carolina.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dcallahan View Post
    HunterCA- You really can hunt Gambel's all year round in Montana!? Thats sweet! are there quite a bit of birds there?

Believe it or not, they are listed as a PROHIBITED SPECIES. No limit, no season.
    http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/lice...rohibited.html

Name:  Capture11.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  40.4 KB]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dcallahan, Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back, just been way busy. Have you been out chasing those little buggers? I haven't had a chance to get out and was thinking it's about time to do a little chasing of my own. Just curious of the numbers. I know the last couple of years there have been quite a down fall then the previous. So it is a little harder to get motivated.