Texas Hunting Friends

JonHimself

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, freshly approved to post as of today. Thanks for having me!
Lurking through the forum has proven to be some good and fun reading. I love learning from people who know infinitely more than I do, even though it constantly reminds me I have a long way to go.

A little about me:
I'm a native Houstonian. My family does not fish, hunt, nor do they hike. My parents are first generation Americans (Czech and Argentinean lineage) and came to the USA for many reasons other immigrants have. Considering this, it wasn't until two years ago a deep urge to explore started to boil over inside of me.
It started with fishing. Lake Conroe served as bass, crappie, and catfish training. I didn't even know how to tie on a hook, let alone the various types, brands, and sizes of hooks, weights, and baits. I spent about a year fishing lakes in Texas then ventured to Minnesota, Arkansas, and Missouri to fish for trout, my God it was an amazing experience. Fishing quickly led to hunting.
Over the last year I've spent hours and hours stomping around public land-mostly scouting, loving it. When I blink the elevation lines of topographical maps are seared onto the backs of my eyelids. The call to go out this season has centered my focus on research and physical training, just waiting for opening day is almost unbearable.

To make a long story longer, I've been on my own. Occasionally and infrequently a friend will come with me into the woods. After an hour, most of the time, my company is too tired, too bored, or too irritated to continue. I'm not frustrated with the company I keep, hell, there are a thousand things I would be too tired, too bored, or too irritated to endure. I just need to find the right people.

I wouldn't be posting if there wasn't an answer or question in mind, so here we go:
Do you all know of any hunting groups in Texas?
Not a hunting club where I would pay to be a member on a private ranch. I'm looking for a group to meet like minded people and build relationships, a way to start finding people to hunt with. I'm not desperate enough to start posting in classified ads or design my own app for meeting other hunters, but I'm not far. How would you guys suggest I go about doing this?

And since this part of the forum is for finding hunting and fishing buddies, please feel free to send me a private message or reply to this post so we can get in touch!

Thanks to those of you who made it through this post!

JBR

You might want to join Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and get involved with the Texas chapter. I'm hoping to meet some like-minded Texans that way, myself.

Welcome to the forum! I'm from the Dallas area and share much of the same hopes and passions you have for hunting. Let me know if you find such a group.

Hey everyone. If a group needs to be started? Start one. I spend most of my hunting and fishing trips in the mountains are mainly spent a lone. Mainly for the way I hunt. But as I am getting older lugging 50 lb pack is about to be replaced with llamas. I would be interested in being a part of a group that wanted to go make backcountry trips and pool resources. It would be about hunting and fishing and maybe making some new friends a long the way and all cheesy stuff. But if there is no group I am willing to start one.

Welcome to the Forum! I lived in San Antonio for 6 months during AF basic training and AIT school, I didn't get much time to venture out in the brush country. that's about all I know about Texas. Good luck!!

Hello Jon and others. I may look into joining BHA but I also wouldn’t mind finding a few like minds here in Texas. I have friends here in Central Texas who hunt, but I’m looking to expand beyond my local area and mix it up. I’m going to try to hunt some public land this year, maybe tackling one of the national forests north of Houston first. I’m a relative novice to much of this but am trying to hit the ground running and learn as I go.

I live in Houston too, and am going to chase turkeys at LBJ National Grasslands this spring (March 31-May 13). If you want to join in the fun, let me know. It's my first time hunting Rio's, first time hunting turkeys in Texas. Moved here from Wisconsin a few years ago. Going to be a learning experience for sure.

As far as groups to join, there is a Texas chapter of BHA that's free, but donations are obviously accepted. It's small, but still great info. They are good about posting the public hunts on our public lands for special seasons.

Anyways, welcome!

Kyle

I lived in TX for a few years and did some hunting up in the NF near Conroe. Drop me a PM if you're interested. I can share you what I know.

I live in the San Antonio area and am brand new to the forum. I am beginning to plan for my first elk hunt in NM. If you want to join in the fun, let me know. It's my first time in NM
wallace

Welcome! To the OP, just keep in mind that hunting does not have to just be big game hunting. Small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc) are a great intro into hunting and something easier to tackle alone should you have to.

Good luck and keep us posted on your hunts/adventures!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back