Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Public lands article by JM77

BuzzH

Here's a great article that Jeff wrote on public lands:

As a hunter I know that public lands are always there, a place to roam in search of game. Access to public lands is critical – not only to my future as a hunter but also to many hunters who would not participate without it. That is why we stand up to defend our public lands when they are threatened, like a simple land exchange that might close the door to thousands of acres of accessible public lands. Groups like Backcountry Hunters & Anglers stand with me and all public land owners to rally and support efforts to ensure sure these lands remain for all.

These public lands hold secrets that have taken me a lifetime to discover, and my time on them is limitless. When I want them, they are there, and they never fail me. I feel a driving need to protect them, not just for myself, but for wildlife and future generations.

Full article here: http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreati...cle_d75a7636-78d1-5497-b6df-2262af9e4410.html

I printed it out and will read it today when I find time.
Thanks for posting the link.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers - oh yeah, that's the group that stopped the harvesting of the snags and blowdowns that caused one of the largest wildfires in Montana this year.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers - oh yeah, that's the group that stopped the harvesting of the snags and blowdowns that caused one of the largest wildfires in Montana this year.

This must have been meant to be typed in Fin's sarcasm font.

"Kerry harvested a trophy bull that November morning, on a hunt we planned the night before, on a place any hunter could go: public lands. We didn’t have to get permission, and no reservations were required. We are public land owners!"

Being a state resident has a lot more impact on his ability to hunt than being a public landowner.

"Kerry harvested a trophy bull that November morning, on a hunt we planned the night before, on a place any hunter could go: public lands. We didn’t have to get permission, and no reservations were required. We are public land owners!"

Being a state resident has a lot more impact on his ability to hunt than being a public landowner.

No doubt that being a resident is beneficial, but that is true for every state. If public lands disappear then it doesn't matter if you are a resident or non-resident, your hunting access will be greatly reduced. In fact, one could argue that a non-resident would be at an even greater disadvantage with reduced public lands.

No doubt that being a resident is beneficial, but that is true for every state. If public lands disappear then it doesn't matter if you are a resident or non-resident, your hunting access will be greatly reduced. In fact, one could argue that a non-resident would be at an even greater disadvantage with reduced public lands.

Absolutely, but if public federal lands mattered as much as being a resident then 98% of the permits wouldn't be allocated to residents like they are Oregon. Or 95% in Arizona. Or 94% in New Mexico.

My point is that, for hunting, being a resident is more important than being a federal landowner and the article failed to highlight that truth. Now if he were talking about hiking, fishing, camping, or birdwatching then his article would have been accurate.

Pretty sure when I went hunting in Idaho as a non resident last year I hunted federal public land, two years ago I as a non resident hunted state trust land and this year I will hunt federal public land. Great article Jeff, thanks for sharing Buzz. BTW the Wyoming tags are 0 pp tags. Point is if it weren't for public lands I don't know people out west so I wouldn get to go as often.

My point is that, for hunting, being a resident is more important than being a federal landowner and the article failed to highlight that truth. Now if he were talking about hiking, fishing, camping, or birdwatching then his article would have been accurate.

Whip, I can tell you must be a "half empty" type of guy. It amazes me how something as simple and pure about public land opportunities becomes an argument for some.

In the meantime I want you to ponder my quote; was I really not accurate? Read it again.

" There is no doubt we live in Wyoming because of the opportunity we have to hunt and to recreate on public lands."

To the rest, thanks for the kind words!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back