Unit 15 Wyoming

I've talked to the same biologist. He sounded like he was reading from a pre printed script. We made good in 16 anyway.

If you have talked to a few dozen hunters (or more) each year, for 20 years, that all ask the same question, then the answer might sound scripted.

My question is why do you think the biologist that is responsible for managing the antelope herd in Wyoming Hunt Area 15 would tell you something that is not the case when it comes to gaining access to pubic lands? What would be his motive for telling you incorrect information?

Can anyone explain this?

Canvsbk: Accessing public lands in Antelope Hunt Area 16 is very different than Hunt Area 15.

ClearCreek

I guess I would have been happier with a banal response like "there is some public land though it receives heavy hunter pressure and harbors few antelope. Be sure of your boundaries, walk a bit, and enjoy The scenery if nothing else." I have no idea why this would make me feel better, it's just disconcerting to receive such a unilaterally negative response from a biologist. On the other hand maybe he's 100% correct. Either way it was surprising, that's all.

If you have talked to a few dozen hunters (or more) each year, for 20 years, that all ask the same question, then the answer might sound scripted.

My question is why do you think the biologist that is responsible for managing the antelope herd in Wyoming Hunt Area 15 would tell you something that is not the case when it comes to gaining access to pubic lands? What would be his motive for telling you incorrect information?

Can anyone explain this?

Canvsbk: Accessing public lands in Antelope Hunt Area 16 is very different than Hunt Area 15.

ClearCreek

There are some really nice big chunks of state land in that area that are completely landlocked by private lands/private roads. In general, the few people who do have access to that land want to keep it that way. Those of us who are more interested in public access to public land feel differently, so this has created some political tension in that area specifically. Depending on who you talk to, whether they work for G&F or the county, or whatever, you'll get that blanket "no, there's no access to the public land" answer. My advice would be to trust your ONX maps, and know exactly where you are and where the nearest property boundaries are. Here's a link to the Wyoming state land access/recreation rules. http://lands.wyo.gov/resources/recreation

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will go. I am stubborn that way. One biologist telling me not to try sealed the deal:). Looking at maps I see public land to be had although it may take a tad of walking. I figure that increases my odds. But I could be WAY wrong too! Will let ya know what I find and post a couple pics maybe. At least of some sunsets if nothing else.

EZ:

Just wondering if you were able to find public lands to hunt on and if you were successful. You indicated you would post photos, etc.

ClearCreek

I was looking for antelope the other day and didn't see any on public land and very few on private unless it was irrigated land.

I hunted Unit 15 two weekends ago. I was very fortunate to have access to a personal friends' ranch in the NE part of the unit. From our driving adventures in between Sheridan and the ranch I would say that it's going to be tough but not impossible to find a goat on public. Best bet in this unit is to pickup one of the unlimited whitetail doe tags they have and knock on doors in the river bottom. Hundreds of whitetails all over the alfalfa fields.

So an update to my hunt. Thanks to everyone that had input.

I agree that public access is very difficult in this unit. Everyone that had that opinion was correct. Of the public land in 15 most of it is not fantastic antelope habitat. There are a few areas that are better and everyone is hunting them, at least peripherally. I did manage to get a small buck on a section the second day I was there. It required laying in 10 inches of grass between two drainages and waiting out a small group of antelope that had been feeding that direction for a couple hours from private. They basically had me pinned down as I started to stalk them when they were above me on a small ridge. The disappeared out of my visual line off a ridge and I tried to use that to advance to a better vantage on their elevation level. Well, that strategy got whacked as one popped back over at 300 yards and it was joined by a second sentry and they stood there for over 2 more hours. I laid there spread eagle the next 2+ hours with their eyes scanning over my frozen form. They finally started feeding and I slowly backed out of the 10 inches of grass I was in by literally pushing my self with my hands straight backwards without lifting up for over 100 yards until I felt my feet fall back over into a drainage. I picked the stickers and cactus thorns out of my chest and other important parts and then moved around them until I was on a ridge above them. I crawled to the ridge line with extreme caution and they were bedded below me at 150 yards. I still wasn't sure they were on BLM but I was. I took some compass readings on nearby structures and triangulated and figured out they were indeed in the kill zone. The does started feeding back toward private and I had not seen the buck yet. As the last doe was feeding around the corner I decided I had better take one or risk nothing. At the second I was squeezing the trigger the buck stood up from under a rock at the bottom of my scope. I realigned my cross hairs and squeezed it off and he rolled right there. He wasn't big as you can see below but good enough for that area! .

IMG_0227.jpg

I talked to many other hunters while I was there. Three guys I know were hunting that area for a few days before me and had nothing. They said that was the first public land buck they had seen taken during their stay so we drank to it. Super nice guys! Another large group of guys hadn't harvested any there but were doing well on deer. With some really good luck and a smidgen of skill it can be done but not a gimme. I would say there are WAY better options in Wyoming they just take more points. Probably better left over areas as well but I really had no idea as I had never been hunting in Wyoming before and just had a hankering to go. I wouldn't do the drive from Oregon again for 15 but will be back next year for a draw tag I figure.

For sure Duckhunt! Will be hitting the geese, ducks and chukars then next couple weeks biding my time until I get a chance at some elk on my first Arizona rifle hunt.

^^^^^^ this
Congrats on your hunt, I knew you could do it!

Woodcock, pheasants, duck and geese here!

Totally agree! Laying in the grass getting sunburned I will never forget. The memory of being there with my dad, barriers, anticipation and doing what you gotta do is the trophy! Get them birds 480/277y. Almost forgot about pheasants! Editing list.

congratulations ,I had my first Wyoming hunt this year also in a limited access area it took a lot of hard work like yours but was successful and very rewarding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back