Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Unit 15 Wyoming

EZBreazy

Hello. My father and I picked up leftover tags for unit 15 Wyoming antelope and were looking to head out in a week or so. We had never done an Antelope hunt together and I figured why not. We could wait an eternity in Oregon and he isn't getting younger. I had been looking at ONX maps and doing some planning. It looked to me like there were probably public accessible tracts of BLM land to the east and State lands to the west that could hold antelope. I spoke with the local biologist and he basically told me to not bother at all as no public areas that hold antelope could be accessed and I would be completely wasting my time. Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this unit and could corroborate what the biologist opinions was or if a guy is persistent some of the public areas could have some antelope. Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated!

Hello. My father and I picked up leftover tags for unit 15 Wyoming antelope and were looking to head out in a week or so. We had never done an Antelope hunt together and I figured why not. We could wait an eternity in Oregon and he isn't getting younger. I had been looking at ONX maps and doing some planning. It looked to me like there were probably public accessible tracts of BLM land to the east and State lands to the west that could hold antelope. I spoke with the local biologist and he basically told me to not bother at all as no public areas that hold antelope could be accessed and I would be completely wasting my time. Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this unit and could corroborate what the biologist opinions was or if a guy is persistent some of the public areas could have some antelope. Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated!

Not Trying to be funny, but up can access 2000 acres if you canoe/boat north on the powder river if you drop in off county road 269. May be you could pay some one for a pick up and drop off or see where there is a boat ramp close. Don't know the river there but sounds like an adventure. From what I understand from Wyoming laws rivers are legal access as long as you don't molest anything. I was thinking about in the section I am hunting.

My mom's family homesteaded along the Powder River, and the land was in the family until great uncle Evan died. The Kendrick (early wyoming senator) family owned the best land in the county on the other side of the "highway" and it is their land that utilizes the first pivot irrigation in the area.

The antelope population here in the 70and 80's was nowhere what the population was closer to Casper.

If you go, you would be wise to be in the lookout for excellent fossils to be observed in the rock formations. Museum quality fish fossils adorned my grandparents and parents homes

Sadly this pick is a stock photo, but similar to ones I have found out in that area.

image.jpg

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will go. I am stubborn that way. One biologist telling me not to try sealed the deal:). Looking at maps I see public land to be had although it may take a tad of walking. I figure that increases my odds. But I could be WAY wrong too! Will let ya know what I find and post a couple pics maybe. At least of some sunsets if nothing else.

I am headed that way also and my partner had a similar call with the biologist. He basically said "didn't you read the regs? There's no access.."
We are in the same boat. We'll go look for some antelope and if there aren't any oh well. Should be interesting to see. The stuff along the powder looked like it was mostly breaks to me, more deer country than antelope country, but who knows.

I am headed that way also and my partner had a similar call with the biologist. He basically said "didn't you read the regs? There's no access.."
We are in the same boat. We'll go look for some antelope and if there aren't any oh well. Should be interesting to see. The stuff along the powder looked like it was mostly breaks to me, more deer country than antelope country, but who knows.

Too funny. I know I talked to the same guy about a buck hunt in 15. I have had discussions with other neighboring biologists that were much more upbeat. An exact opinion was it usually takes a half a morning even with poor access. Will see how it pans. ONX map in hand and boots on.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will go. I am stubborn that way. One biologist telling me not to try sealed the deal:). Looking at maps I see public land to be had although it may take a tad of walking. I figure that increases my odds. But I could be WAY wrong too! Will let ya know what I find and post a couple pics maybe. At least of some sunsets if nothing else.

You will have major problems just like the biologist stated because there are very few state or BLM lands in 15 that are legally accessible. Just because you see public lands on your maps doesn't mean they are legally huntable just like the biologist stated and the few that are will probably not hold many, if any, antelope. I'm up in Sheridan right now and there are hundreds of antelope along the interstate between Buffalo and Sheridan, but it's all private land or state land that is landlocked by the private ranches. You will need a county map showing the few legal public maintained roads that do hit state land to the middle and east side of 15 along with a good GPS with landowner chip or the only thing you may get if you try to hunt 15 is a trespassing ticket. Good luck, as you'll need it to be successful without paying to access private ranches up here!

You certainly won't find any antelope if you dont try. You have the tags so give'r hell. Take a look at the link below. While I haven't hunted pronghorn in this unit, I have hunted birds on several chunks of stateland, and saw pronghorn while out there. Note that a few of the chunks of state land don't have a public road crossing them, but do have walk-in hunting areas that do provide access to them. Also, walk-in hunting areas may have caveats about which species can be taken on the private land that is enrolled in the WIA program, but that doesn't preclude you from hunting other species on the state land that you gain access to by crossing the WIA. Good luck. You will have a great time.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Public-Access/Walk-In-Hunting

Find the county's website, they might have a good map online that shows county roads. We hunted 16 last year and I found one for that unit that was very helpful.

Difficult access doesn't mean impossible access. Have your maps, GPS with chip, hunt hard and you'll do ok.

Agree! Not mission impossible. Will head out on Monday. Have to try to get a mule deer in the freezer for my 14 y/o daughter before I head to Wyoming. It is her first deer tag, she drew Interstate in Oregon. Deer this weekend and goats next week! Thanks for the awesome input. Hitting the maps and making my notes.

Also, walk-in hunting areas may have caveats about which species can be taken on the private land that is enrolled in the WIA program, but that doesn't preclude you from hunting other species on the state land that you gain access to by crossing the WIA.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Public-Access/Walk-In-Hunting

MinnesotaHunter:

What I have underlined and made bold above in your quote is NOT true. If you access pubic lands by crossing through a Wyoming Game and Fish Walk-In Area you can only bring back across the WIA the species that are allowed to be hunted on the WIA.

For instance, if a WIA allows pheasant hunting only, you are not allowed to use that WIA to access state, National Forest or BLM land and kill a deer and then bring that deer back across that WIA. By doing this would be good way to get the walk-in area contract with the private landowner cancelled!

ClearCreek

Thank you for that clarification, ClearCreek... that is the case explicitly with some BMA's in Montana, though I don't know about all of them. But many specifically state that they do not provide access to adjacent public lands.

I've talked to the same biologist. He sounded like he was reading from a pre printed script. We made good in 16 anyway.

Clear Creek, thanks for the correction. I thought that came from a reliable source (CO during a compliance check), he must not have understood what I was asking. I hope the OP saw your post.

Completely agree. I find it hard to believe that there is no accessible public land with antelope in any of Wyoming's antelope areas. I haven't personally hunted 15, but I agree that with good maps/gps, you'll find something.

Take a look at Sheridan county WIA's 1 and 4 specifically. I believe both of those are in area 15 and allow antelope hunting. They will also both give you access to some BLM and/or State land. As always, check on the Game and Fish website because I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back