MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pronghorn Decoy or Moo Cow Decoy?

aamarler

Can't decide which decoy would be the best to use. The bucks will be rutting but there will be cattle around also. Should i just use both to see what happens? Will be archery hunting btw. Solo hunter..

I would strongly recommend not using a pronghorn decoy during rifle season regardless of what weapon you are using. Too many people out there who aren't real careful about what they're shooting at. That said, my experience has been that antelope will run away from any large decoy about 90% of the time. You'd probably have better luck getting them to come take a look at a squirrel tail on the end of a stick that you could poke up and flash around every once in a while. It can also really depend on the area you're hunting and what they've been educated about. Just my personal experience. Good luck.

I've had good luck using a pronghorn decoy once they really get into the rut. If you're able to sneak to within their bubble, like less than 100 yards, and pop up with the decoy unexpectedly, they have a tendency to come in fast and check it out. If you try to walk up to them from across the prairie holding it in front of you, not so much.. Or if you can figure out where they're headed and set the decoy up in front of them, I've seen them come into that also but it takes a lot of luck for them to come the right way. I haven't tried the moo cow yet, if only it came in black..

And like Bydand said, I probably wouldn't use it during rifle season.

Thank you for the advise. I agree i would not recommend using P. decoy during rifle season either. I will pick up a squirrel tail for next season and see what happens. I had only a cow decoy and could't use it, was to windy. After my experience I would recommend an P. decoy if you have never hunted that area and don't know if there is actually cattle there. Btw this was my first time hunt'n Pronghorn and first time in WY. The hunt was awesome! I had stalks every day and missed a trophy at 40 yards thought it was 60 yards shot over his back. Ended up with a smaller one first day of rifle about 400 yards. So much fun...

Last edited:
My personal experience is not to use either one if you are hunting alone. Good luck getting them to stay standing in any kind of breeze let alone wind. Even with 2 people I've never had either of them work

Yes Mudranger1 even tho I didn't even try to use the decoy it seemed impossible to be able to carry and hold it with one hand and my bow with the other hand to stalk.

A lot depends upon when you plan on hunting. In Wyo many archery seasons open way before the rut and end about the time rut picks up. An antelope decoy may not do you much good if they aren't rutting. Cow decoys may work if there are cows in the area you are hunting. A horse decoy may work if there are wild or domestic horses. If you hunt sage/rimrock country you may do just as well spot and stalk. Waterholes also are an option in areas where there aren't many water sources and the weather is hot and dry.

I have had good luck using the pronghorn decoy. I am always amazed with the movement I can get away with if I stay mostly behind the decoy.

Keep in mind, If you use the pronghorn decoy - your camo clothing setup must mimic the decoy's colors and shape. Same goes for the moo cow. Just a useless bit of interweb advice:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back