Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wheeled cart a good option?

elkohalic

Has anyone tried out wheeled carts similar to the Honey Badger Wheel? Looking for pros/cons on using something like this to pack camp into a remote area and then hopefully get elk out. Currently my partner and I hike in from the perimeter a couple miles and 2000 vert feet up before we drop in. If we had a wheeled cart it would be about a 6 mile trek but it would be on trail. Looking for thoughts on the best way to access this area. We don't have goats and taking horses in isn't an option with the amount of bears and wolves around.. The HBW is around $700 so it is a hefty investment.. Thanks for the input.

I use a wheeled cart for one of the areas I hunt. In certain conditions it is great. I only use it on trails or open terrain. I would say that if your route has a lot of steep uphills rather than mostly downhill it might be easier to back pack or keep your loads @ 100 lbs. The nice thing about a cart like this is that two guys can bring out an entire boned out elk in one trip if the terrain is easy.

Attachments

• IMG_9496.JPG
    IMG_9496.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 777
As Gerald said it all depends on the terrain. With 2 guys might be able to maneuver a cart through steep or rocky areas. The area where I've gotten my last three cows is a jungle of pinion, junipers and mahogany trees and pretty steep. The place where I got my bull was very steep and rocky. No way I could have used a cart or sled either. What you see in the foreground is what we had to pack the quarters out through. It's really a PIA to keep ducking down under the branches and getting the top of our pack frames really sucks too.
DSCN1242.jpg

Last edited:
A friend and I packed our base camp into an area approx. 4 miles. We wheeled to our base camp and from there with elk down, wheeled it out in one go. Worked out great!

Basically, I found the main factors are: side tip and push/pull over obstacles. If rolling over obstacles - so long as the branch sits lower than the center point of the wheel's axle, I can roll it over. Of course, the lower the better and with two people... However, unlike Gerald's and the HBW, ours has 2 wheels though holds a similar look as Gerald's.

It is similar to this: http://www.discountramps.com/throne-convertible-game-cart-hunting-chair/p/THRONE/ BTW: This one is ONLY 139$ 500lb capacity. The difference, and I am not sure if my friend made the second set of handles - though we were both able walk with handle grips. It's a pretty interesting setup as he's used it when sighting in pre season...

throne-convertible-game-cart-hunting-chair__6.jpg

Gerald's monster mobile transport looks pretty bad arse! Heck, you sure he didn't wheel you out on one of your treks?

Gerald's monster mobile transport looks pretty bad arse! Heck, you sure he didn't wheel you out on one of your treks?
Different Elkaholic, Sytes. I got to say when I saw this thread, I was thinking that Dave of all people should know whether a game cart is a good idea or not.

To the O.P.- Good brakes are ESSENTIAL on a rubber wheeled game cart such as mine. I can attest to the danger and discomfort of (nearly) being run over by 300lbs of runaway elk, gear and cart after losing my footing coming down steep section of trail.

Hopefully after this week, I'll have some more pics of the "Packinator" in action with a big Shiras bull that is wearing my wife's tag.

There's so many variables that come into play with using a cart. This was Sept 8th Gerald and I using a different cart than his. Good brakes are a must for any down hill when you have a #300 load, glad Gerald survived the wreck we had, it was pretty scary from my view point. During this pack out (4.5mi) I sure was thinking humping loads & multiple trips on our backs doesn't sound bad, but once finished all in one trip it is rather nice, either way, as they say, that's when all the work begins. This cart needs a few modifications to handle an entire full bull elk, 2nd wheel brake, handles need better support, I'm really not sure how we didn't break this thing, so I give it props for that! Best of luck!
image.jpeg

edit - howdy Dave!

I've not used brakes on a game cart and can relate to Gerald's experience about a cart pushing upon the hunter... I'm going to look into McGyver-ing my friend's cart, me thinks... :)

Last edited:
Carts can be of great help on trails that aren't too steep. Break is a must as stated above. The cart below is loaded down with one and a quarter elk on the trip shown below.
2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 011.jpg
This cart has a single heavy duty Mountain bike tire.

Last edited:
With the ones I've used, the inline wheel configuration works best in uneven stuff. On roads or flat terrain, the two wheel is ok. mtmuley

Thanks for the input guys. Still deliberating.. Im sure it will be work but to get an animal out in 1 or 2 trips vs 3 or 4 would be great. The cart would only be used on the trail that goes through the country. Two guys on a cart with brakes would be ideal. 1 guy on a 1 wheeled cart could be a disaster.. Tons of balance to consider. While there isn't any real steep inclines on the trail, it is narrow enough it would make a two wheeled cart useless.

I used one of the two-wheeled carts pictured above - we broke one of the plastic hubs when we rolled over a branch about 1/4 of the way out. Then we had to carry the elk and the cart out :(

Also keep in mind that wheels are not allowed in designated wilderness (foot traffic only).

IMG_2633.jpg

Man, very impressed with this thread. Didn't realize they were getting this popular. Aluminum and welded joints seem the best. We built this over 20 years ago and it rules. I upgraded with the disc brake a few years back. Way cheaper than an ATV.

@Idahoaddiction and @KGBoutdoors and I have hauled out numerous critters with this bad boy.

The Honey badger looks pretty awesome. Weight and compact size seems really smart. Good luck.

I use an ice fishing sled for general and meat hauling. I have hauled an entire BIG cow over level to down hill terrain by my self with very reasonable effort. If there is snow on the ground it is even better. I upgraded the "tow" rope to a longer length of good climbing rope from REI and it can easily be pulled by two guys if you have a heavy load and up hill. This will be my 3rd season with it and I love it......cheap too!!!

Here it is... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Utility-Ice-Sled/751745.uts?slotId=0

Last edited:
Photobucket has my pictures and won't give them up or I'd show some pictures of the Critter Cart my father and I built. Just hauled out a WHOLE 4 point bull elk on my buddies cart my father made for him. It has brakes and uses a motorcycle wheel. I've hauled 3 antelope whole on it at one time also. Piece of cake.

I remembered this thread and felt I had to relate this story from hunting season this year. I have been going to the same camp now for 6 years (5 hunting years-missed year before last) and about half way up the jeep trail to camp there is always a group of 3 trucks parked but no camp. My hunting buddy has always just told me that those guys pack into the back country on the other side of the mountain ( at least 5miles all up hill). Well I didn't get the scope of what they did until this year. We set up our camp early on Wednesday and had time go for a walk around on TH.
We happened to pass them as they were getting ready to head out. There setup is 2 LARGE 2 wheel game carts loaded to the hilt with everything needed for a 6 man camp....and they PUSH the carts with all of that UPHILL to camp. Now, I believe they have a bit higher success rate given the terrain they access but sweet baby Jeebus!! I can't imagine the trip in or the multiple trips if they harvest something. Have to say those dudes must be hard as woodpecker lips to pull that slog off!!

I have only used a cart once. It was a two-man, one-wheel style similar to the photo in Gerald's post. As others have said, benefits depend on the terrain. It was not a good choice where we were. I was more tired from fighting to get the empty cart up the rocky trail to the elk than I usually am after packing elk out on my back.

Back