Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ATV's going up horse/human trail

JWhunter

How do you guys deal with this if an tav goes off road up a trail that is only a human and horse trail? I had an elk get busted by the atv

We were scouting summer before last in our usual area, which is wilderness, and had a yahoo in a freakin Chevy shortbed truck come motoring up a pedestrian trail. We stood in the trail and stared at him. When he got to us he sheepishly said "I'm not supposed to be here am I?" Yeah, no sh*t....I guess the multiple signs and log at the base of the trail didn't give him a clue ;) Unfortunately, there is a group of folks that think rules either don't apply to them at all or are made to be broken.

I'd probably have flames coming out of my ears if I were you! I agree, get plate number, picture, description, truck plates, anything to report to the appropriate agency.

Yeah I actually know the guy who it was I went up and knocked on his camper and when I told him it was illegal he just replied with what are you gonna do about it... I didn't have service and wanted to hunt so I moved over a drainage and I was going to call the fish and game but, what do I say to them... they need to get the C.O.'s to go work I say at least 30 camps on my drive and never saw a game cop.

Yeah I actually know the guy who it was I went up and knocked on his camper and when I told him it was illegal he just replied with what are you gonna do about it... I didn't have service and wanted to hunt so I moved over a drainage and I was going to call the fish and game but, what do I say to them... they need to get the C.O.'s to go work I say at least 30 camps on my drive and never saw a game cop.

One of the places I used to hunt had a group of out-of-state hunters that always camped in the same spot and every year were trespassing, driving atvs where they weren't allowed, using other peoples tags. Anyway I would call the warden every time I saw a violation and sometimes he'd get their in time, sometimes he wouldn't. After getting pinched the first time I figured that would be the end of that (Even had a bull confiscated). Nope right back next year doing all again. After a few times they figured out it was me calling and when they saw me they'd cuss me up and down, say that I was lying and just trying to keep them out. It took 4 years of reporting them until they finally never came back.

I guess the point is that if you don't make the call, they won't stop and sometimes you gotta make a lot of calls.

Well I know I'd be pissed. This was our first time out and on the last morning we had a couple bugling. Then all went silent a while later a bulldozer comes down the closed forest service road. We were done anyway but not what I was expecting.

As a retired LEO I am getting very tired of making the call,giving the info & nothing is done.
Even more pissed about poaching I report & then I am being looked at.

I am taking care of things my way from now on.

Pics. Include gps coordinates and show it in your pic, and or recognizable landmarks to bolster you claim of illegal activity/location.

Another benefit of satellite communication possibilities.

What you gonna do about it huh?, well, in my younger days he'd have been sorry he said that, in my older years he still may have been sorry but I'd probably have just reported him (sucks to be older now).

The what ya gonna do about it part just kills me. Someday this guy gonna ask that question to the wrong dude. Rest assured his atv will get him no closer to killing an elk in the meantime...

There is a place like that where I am heading tomorrow. A road ends with a vehicle use restricted sign. Well, people cut down a couple trees and drive right around gate with four wheelers. Really annoying, but most people (I dont call them hunters) that will do such a thing are lazy ad wont got off the trail more than 100 yards unless they shoot something.

A snipped spark plug wire would be a challenge in the woods... Dang midnight raccoons!

Go back to the site and take photos and turn his A$$ in. He is ruining that area for many people not to mention it is illegal. I purposely hunt an area that doesn't allow ATV usage so that I don't have to deal with them chasing elk all over the mountain. You are putting in hard work hunting there and he is being lazy and rude. His response alone would be enough to make me drive up to the nearest high spot to get cell coverage and have an officer out there ASAP. Sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment.....

Ive run across several atv/motorcycles where they aint supposed to that somehow lost the sparkplug wire

Get a much info for a description of the vehicle as possible to include GPS location if possible. Contact BHA Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. They will assist in informing the proper authorities. I have motorcycle in my area screwing the backcountry up. Good luck.

Last year in New Mexico I ran into a loser running his quad down a closed trail to a waterhole. Watched him drive right over the Road Closed sign. He saw my Hunttalk hat and knew all about this place.

Losers are everywhere.

I've always said ATV/UTV's are one of the worst things to happen to hunting and access. I don't take plug wires or cut them. I don't do any damage to them. But, air is free, and I bet those tires don't do well without it. Or so I would guess. mtmuley

Before getting too worked up, make sure there was not a travel restrictions change. I've seen the travel restrictions change but the trail closure sign was not. It happens in the Bridgers all the time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back