Is all Orange Created Equal

AvidIndoorsman

Going through the closet preparing for a rifle hunt and I have a bunch of orange clothing. The color has faded on many pieces from years of use and some are different shades of orange, I have an upland vest one could even argue isn't blaze orange at all.

With firstlite and a few other companies trying to make blaze merino wool and lots of non hunting brands making "safety colored" orange clothing do you think one needs to worry their "hunter's orange" being the right shade.

Has anyone ever had a warden given them a hard time on this front? Just kinda curious.

Here are four vests I have you can see the cheapo cabelas vest and browning vest are fluorescent orange the firstlite and the upland vest are orange but definitely not fluorescent. I'm assuming 99% of wardens are like... well you tried.
IMG_3195.jpg

A lot of my orange is 40 years old and is off white. New Mexico does not require it except on White Sands for oryx. I do wear a orange stocking hat. I do put an orange vest on a dead animal.

My old boss got a ticket here in Colorado because his hat was old and faded on a pronghorn hunt a few yrs back. But I would think any new orange would be good.

My state (Louisiana) just passed "Pink" as a accepted color in addition to orange. I think if pink is suitable, most shades of orange might pass too.

I've been around a whole lot of game wardens, and never seen one write a ticket for faded orange. In most cases, you might get a safety lecture, and told to go home and get some legal orange before going hunting again.
On the same note, in recent years, I've seen folks pictured on Colorado's big game hunting regs magazine, that were wearing very poor representations of good, hunter orange. Several hunters were posing with faded hats and vests. If you save the regulation/license/tag magazine, go back and look. I thought this was really bad for CPW to use a pic of folks in this way, as if a Warden was questioning you about your orange, you could pull the magazine out and see where the conversation goes to next?

Back