45-70

2dogs

I got this bug in my shorts to buy a 45-70. I don't NEED a 45-70, I want a 45-70. I have never fired one. I know the cartridge has been around forever. I read that it's a good deer, elk and moose gun out to about 200 yards. Pushes a lot of lead. Marlin makes a lever action with a long barrel
that I have been drooling over. I would appreciate any input good or bad. Is there a rifle you would recommend over the Marlin? I know Henry makes a lever also but it is much more $$.

If you get a Marlin, get an older JM stamped Marlin. This will be before Remington bought them out and ruined them. They may have fixed the bugs, but they really had issues for a while.

If you get a Marlin, get an older JM stamped Marlin. This will be before Remington bought them out and ruined them. They may have fixed the bugs, but they really had issues for a while.

This.

And look for a Ruger #1 or a Hi Wall from Browning or Winchester as well.

I got the same bug 3 years ago. I had to have one. I "needed" an open sight woods rifle. searched gunbroker for a year. I found a Marlin 1895gs JM stamped in like new condition. somehow it was a no reserve auction on gunbroker and I scored it for under $650 all in. I shot a nice buck with it my first time out with it. The next year I bought a new Howa alpine Mt Rifle because I had to have a lightweight all weather do everything rifle. now I honestly think about selling the marlin because I just don't think i'll use it that much. If you have to have one then get one, they are really cool. I agree, buy a JM stamped rifle. if you buy a newer one, make sure you handle it before buying. 2-3 years ago I saw some really crappy new ones on the shelves. some I couldn't believe were allowed to leave the factory. if I was going to buy a big bore lever gun again, I think I'd buy the BLR in 450 marlin. I didn't the first time because I have access to my dad's .308 BLR. they are just nicer guns than the marlin. that being said, there is something really cool about the marlin lever actions. if you do buy a older marlin, make sure to change the follower if you want to shoot Hornady leverevolution ammo. it will not cycle reliably in the older guns.

take your time finding the right one and right deal. I'm proof you can save a lot if you wait for the right one. I also got my Howa alpine for under $700 new in box on gunbroker. good deals to be had on there and other sites I'm sure.

I have a Pre Rem- Marlin Cowboy 45/70.
LOVE it .
It is a long barrel and a 9 shell tube.
I reload and use very aggressive loads.
I don't like the rainbow bullet travel of the lead trap door loads.
I mainly use a Hornady 300 HP I get 2490 fps out of it.
With a 250 gr Barnes I get a tad over 2600 fps.
I topped it with a Redfield 4x12.
It is an elk/bear killing machine.

One of my mentors is a rifle nut and has been in on more than 100 elk kills. He's bought and sold a bunch of rifles over the years but the one he has never sold is his Marlin 45-70. He swears by it as a timber gun. I can't argue with that.

I had an older Marlin 444, great round out to 250 yards. Ran a 2.5x Widefield shotgun scope on it, w rings that didn't interfere w the open sights. Loaded 265 Gr Hornady pistol bullets, they left a tunnel through game! The 45-70 will be all that and more w handloads. Most 45-70 factory loads are very low pressure so as not to blow up trap-door actions. I dig lever actions.

Winchester Model 1886 comes in 45-70 and is cool rifle with a lot of history. The Model 94 comes in 450 Marlin. If you want a fun rifle with a large dose of cool factor get a Shiloh Sharps Model 1874. The Shiloh's can handle the Ruger #1 loads if you think you will need that hot of a load.
Dan

I'll echo that the JM stamped Marlins are better than the new "Remlins". I have an 1895 SBL made in 2014 and it has some rough edges that should have been machined better. I think they've improved their QC. Definitely get a 45-70 because it's a hoot to shoot. If you reload then you'll enjoy making plinking loads or those giant piledriver loads that knock you over. I've always wanted a Quigley Sharps and need to devote some funds to that one day.

I think Henry makes a good strong 45-70 with a longer barrel also.

I bought a marlin 1895xlr in .45-70 when they first came out. Outstanding gun, JM stamped. Put in a safety delete (dummy screw) slicked up the action and put on a Williams fp peep sight. Thinking about a leupold variable power scout scope.
Henry makes good rifles, but I just can't get over how goofy they look with that big cut out in the mag tube.

The 45-70 is a fun round to tinker with if you reload also.

I helped acquire a Henry for my wife's uncle. It is one helluva rifle. I've handled a couple different Henry's, all of them fine rifles in their own right, but this rifle is a dandy. Shooting it was even more fun, kicked like a rabid mule, but still fun. We had a blast, literally, watching the debris it kicked up down range. You wouldn't be disappointed with a Henry.

Get one. I bought one of the Walmart specials last year. Why? Because it was a deal and I needed it. If I ever go buffalo hunting it's going for sure!

I've had a long octagon barrel Marlin but it was a remlin and I sold it after a year. I've also had a 45-70 Handy rifle since I was 16 that I will never sell. It's killed everything from ground squirrels and badgers to deer and never been anything but fun to shoot. I've put a scope on it, taken the scope off, rebuilt the rear sight because the factory blade fell out (a Ruger Blackhawk rear sight blade is a step up replacement). I am a firm believer that the 45-70 is the easiest to hand load funnest to shoot best novelty gun money can buy. There are "better" hunting calibers by far but I'm not sure that there are any "funner" calibers.

I always wanted the Marlin Stainless Guide Gun in 45-70 since about 2000.
Now I will be inheriting a Henry 45-70 that is only a couple years old.
If you are buying your own Henry Rifle, look at the Henry Stainless All Weather.
This gun is stainless matte finish with Walnut furniture that is some sort of durable matte coating.
Henry Rifles are made in USA (Bayonne,NJ)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will broaden my search pattern and see what is available.
I currently have a TC Pro Hunter and I could buy a 45-70 barrel for that.

I skimmed over the responses so I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone cover the accuracy of a Marlin lever gun. It can be down right spooky!! When the .450 Marlin was introduced I picked one up in the guide gun configuration. With factory loads I was able to cloverleaf shots at 100 yards, open sights, off the bench. Couldn't do it every single time but did do it multiple times. I've since put a Williams peep sight on and am always blown away by the accuracy it has. My Grandpa bought one and ultimately sold it to my buddy. He scoped it, same results with bullets touching all day long at 100. Good friend has 2 in .45-70 and they're both shooters too. And you can load them from mild to wild. Extremely versatile

After years of lusting in my heart I pulled the trigger on an SBL last fall. Played with it this summer a bit with 3 levels of power loads all in 405 gr. It doesn't recoil badly IMO but I shoot it off hand only, it would be stout off of the bench I reckon.

Function of the newer remlins is OK as is the fitting, they were pretty rough for awhile after the acquisition. Biggest issue is the sights (factory ghost ring) but it is my eyesight as the issue not the hardware. I get best result with an old pair of single vision glasses, if I forget and have my bi-focal on I can't get the front blade's top edge in focus, and accuracy suffers. But it is a beauty in timber as it carries nicely and if slung is level with my shoulder.

You would lose that feature if you got the XLR (I know I was in love with it for awhile till I started thinking it thru.) First i already have lots of long range, long barreled, thumpers, and even with the extra inches of barrel it is still limited by its nature of being a 45-70.

Now if you want it for balance or extra weight and are not needing the handling of a 36" thumper the XLR is gorgeous. (and way cool). I did ponder on just pilfering a couple more royal jewels from her highness and getting both, scoping one and leaving the SBL with it's ghost ring, so far discretion has won the day.

I have not achieved accuracy like others describe but as the way i shoot (off hand) and with my fuzzy sight picture i would have to throw a scope on her to have a more solid feel for that. Someday i will have a scope laying around with weaver mounts and will do just that, and if it helps too much may have to buy one of those scout scopes for it, but it will "ruin" the rifle to doll it up with a scope.

After years of lusting in my heart I pulled the trigger on an SBL last fall. Played with it this summer a bit with 3 levels of power loads all in 405 gr. It doesn't recoil badly IMO but I shoot it off hand only, it would be stout off of the bench I reckon.

Function of the newer remlins is OK as is the fitting, they were pretty rough for awhile after the acquisition. Biggest issue is the sights (factory ghost ring) but it is my eyesight as the issue not the hardware. I get best result with an old pair of single vision glasses, if I forget and have my bi-focal on I can't get the front blade's top edge in focus, and accuracy suffers. But it is a beauty in timber as it carries nicely and if slung is level with my shoulder.

You would lose that feature if you got the XLR (I know I was in love with it for awhile till I started thinking it thru.) First i already have lots of long range, long barreled, thumpers, and even with the extra inches of barrel it is still limited by its nature of being a 45-70.

Now if you want it for balance or extra weight and are not needing the handling of a 36" thumper the XLR is gorgeous. (and way cool). I did ponder on just pilfering a couple more royal jewels from her highness and getting both, scoping one and leaving the SBL with it's ghost ring, so far discretion has won the day.

I have not achieved accuracy like others describe but as the way i shoot (off hand) and with my fuzzy sight picture i would have to throw a scope on her to have a more solid feel for that. Someday i will have a scope laying around with weaver mounts and will do just that, and if it helps too much may have to buy one of those scout scopes for it, but it will "ruin" the rifle to doll it up with a scope.

The SBL is sharp looking...thinking a Lupe 1x5 wouldn't hurt the aesthetics too badly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back