Caribou Gear Tarp

Handling camp expenses when you bought most of the equipment

Turnbull71

Not sure if this is the best place for this but wondering how you might handle expenses with hunting buddies. We planned the trip and made list of equipment and what we had and it seems like I am the only one who had most equipment and bought more stuff because they just weren't getting it done. I spent at least $1600 on wall tent and stove (and yes I get to keep) but I don't want to ask for money but what are your experiences with expenses? One guys has plenty of money the other is younger with little money.

Take expense total and divide by the number of folks on the trip. Unless they offer more since you provided some of the gear, that cost is not figured into the expenses on a trip. The amount of money one makes/has does not bear on how expenses are split.

Since you are asking I have a feeling you think it should be different, but I'm not sure of a better way than simple division.

Last edited:
Are you talking food expenses? That should be divided up equally. I don't think asking money for the tent you bought and plan to keep is a wise idea. Maybe I'm reading this wrong

I think the tent and stove should be thrown out of the equation since you get to keep it. Gas, food, travel expenses should all be split equally.

Are you talking food expenses? That should be divided up equally. I don't think asking money for the tent you bought and plan to keep is a wise idea. Maybe I'm reading this wrong

I concur. I always start with trip consumables (food, booze, gas, rental, lodging, etc.) getting split evenly, permanent possessions (guns, tents, gear) don't. In cases where I cover the bulk of the prep and/or gear my buddies will then usually refuse the even split and voluntarily pay disproportionately more in light of my contribution. It works well and keeps everybody happy. But sometimes a guy doesn't make such an offer and I just live with it.

I think the tent and stove should be thrown out of the equation since you get to keep it. Gas, food, travel expenses should all be split equally.

I agree with JC in terms of what you should expect from another human; but, it sure is nice when others who are essentially being subsidized by your capital items recognize it and make some sort of gesture at a minimum.

My hunting partner likes to buy lots of shiny new stuff that we could do without but I do benefit from their use and it makes our experience more enjoyable. I always make a comment and do something extra whether picking up a little extra gas, paying for some extra portion of the consumables, being willing to pack out gear and decoys and just being an agreeable hunting partner.

Some people are considerate and do this. Some aren't. Some will get invited back, some won't.

I agree with JC in terms of what you should expect from another human; but, it sure is nice when others who are essentially being subsidized by your capital items recognize it and make some sort of gesture at a minimum.

My hunting partner likes to buy lots of shiny new stuff that we could do without but I do benefit from their use and it makes our experience more enjoyable. I always make a comment and do something extra whether picking up a little extra gas, paying for some extra portion of the consumables, being willing to pack out gear and decoys and just being an agreeable hunting partner.

Some people are considerate and do this. Some aren't. Some will get invited back, some won't.

A steak and beer go a long way after a long hunting trip :cool:

Meals and incidentals (paper plates, paper towels, TP, utencils, etc) is all we split.. plus fuel for generators if we use campers. I prepare and buy all meals and let them know ahead of time that any additional snacks and drinks is their responsibility.

Do you split gas on long trips or figure in wear/tear on vehicle using IRS reimbursement rates? I have had to change oil a lot sooner due to long road trips (30 hours round trip, for example) and a lot of gravel/dirt road miles during the hunt.

I usually hunt solo or with generous family members so we support each other and our offspring all the time whether a hunt is going on or is a school fundraiser, etc. Tracking exact numbers is not part of the relationship but then I could see a situation where needs to be a business approach to a hunting adventure.

split consumables. Hard items purchased are the cost of the person buying them. It would be nice if your hunting partners picked up a couple extra costs since you picked up the wall tent, but don't expect it.

I agree. Hard assets are the cost of who buys them. My brother and I split the cost of a wall tent and stove last year. It was a little tight with our group of six so another buddy bought a new wall tent this year that we can use as a cooking/sleep tent. Somebody else will likely get the next big gear purchase. I didn't want to split the tent cost (other than with my brother). I want to keep the tent and use when I want to and where. Food, gas, and camping supplies we all split equally.

We generally split consumables evenly among the group and then argue over the other guy(s) being too generous, each of us walking away feeling like we didn't pay enough. Typically we gang up on whoever provided the vehicle or other large asset to the hunt. If someone is known for being a cheapskate, they don't get invited on trips.

All good advice above. i would add have the $$$ before the trip. That way eveyrone knows before hand. and if anyone cheaps out, they aren't on any of my future trips. I find I am the one planning all the hunts (WA Rosies, WY Antelope, AZ Coues) and the guys going area always different. I am clear upfront and I don't move on the pricepoint.

I would say that if you have someone with less money and you feel generous, then help them out. But don't feel obligated to do it. Walking down that road is long and rough.

Any gear doesn't get counted into the equation. The only expenses are gas, hotels, and food that we will cook. Everyone is responsible for their own food on the road and on the hunt, but we do throw in and split tortillas, water and such. Going into a hunt we get an estimate of the fuel and hotel costs, divide it by the number of people going, and put it in an envelope. We spend that money for any expenses that we agreed on. If it runs out, we split the other expenses then. If there's extra the person whose vehicle we took usually keeps it for maintenance. In the end, the last thing that should be an issue is getting bent out of shape about expenses.

Any gear doesn't get counted into the equation. The only expenses are gas, hotels, and food that we will cook. Everyone is responsible for their own food on the road and on the hunt, but we do throw in and split tortillas, water and such. Going into a hunt we get an estimate of the fuel and hotel costs, divide it by the number of people going, and put it in an envelope. We spend that money for any expenses that we agreed on. If it runs out, we split the other expenses then. If there's extra the person whose vehicle we took usually keeps it for maintenance. In the end, the last thing that should be an issue is getting bent out of shape about expenses.

This sounds like a good idea. I've always used my truck but I'm not going to ask my dad for maintenance money considering all he's done for me in life. But with buddies this sounds like a good and reasonable way to handle the issue

This is pretty much on point. When you start throwing down on wall tents and big camp stuff, it if it's yours then obviously it's not appropriate to ask for money. But if you are going to continue putting in a camp with the same people every year and they rely on having that tent as base camp, a different discussion may be warranted. What would they have done if you didn't have a tent?

I entered a deal with a brother in law that said he was going to split the cost of my wall tent/stove etc when he was coming our from FL. Prior to him coming out I realized that was not cool b/c I would obviously be using it way way more than he could ever imagine, so I paid the whole thing. Then I proceeded to stay 22 days in it that Fall. :).

Last edited:
Yes, we will be splitting gas, food etc. it's just the guy with money isn't contributing equipment at all even though we made a list of what we need. He just isn't the type of guy that understands what planning it takes. So I understand all your comments was just checking what your experiences were.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back