Handling camp expenses when you bought most of the equipment

Back in 2000 I invited a customer to bowhunt axis deer with me in Hawaii. He asked if he could bring a friend, I said yes. Turns out that his friend has become my best friend and the best hunting partner. Also his wife and mine get along great and we also go on hunting adventures as couples. Don't be afraid to invite people.

It sounds like you need to talk to the other hunters and ask them to supply some of the camping gear required for the trip as you have done. Don't expect to be reimbursed for the tent costs unless it will only be used on trips with them or you have so type of tent share agreement.

With most friends you come up short on one thing and ahead on the next. But we all know that one guy.

Invited my son in law's dad to join us on a Colorado elk hunt a couple seasons ago. He doesn't hunt but made a hand, carried his economic impact, proved great campfire company, and thanks me every time he sees me.

Good people tend to do the right thing.

Invited my son in law's dad to join us on a Colorado elk hunt a couple seasons ago. He doesn't hunt but made a hand, carried his economic impact, proved great campfire company, and thanks me every time he sees me.

Good people tend to do the right thing.

^^^wisdom :)

Brother and I finally got tired planning and guys show up and, "Oh, damn. I forgot." So now, "Bring your own sleeping arrangements, pay up for grub. If you plan on bringing your own food or whatever, you sure as hell aren't using our equipment. Weeded out the riff raff that way. Now always have a crew of 5 or 6, some hunt some don't. Brother has it down to a science. Anybody who can't afford $55 tab for grub for a week has a problem. Everybody pays up on the first of three planning meetings. Guys have had to back out once in awhile last minute and know that they don't get food tab back. Brother never has to do dishes, chop wood, or any camp stuff. We chip in and buy a gift card for him as a tip. He loves life now.

Split up gas/food and lodging during travel. If you want to take the truck owner out of the the gas equation as your using his truck... everything else is a non issue. If you own it before the trip you will own it after the trip....if it's something your not willing to share in its use then leave it home. I don't look at that as an expense.

Bought a complete wall tent setup this year from Davis Tent 14X16' and their largest stove. Had most everything else. Already spent a couple weeks in it solo and when my partner shows up I will be glad to have the company. He is offering to pay all gas expenses, oil changes on truck etc. I won't let that happen. The guys I hunt with are super generous. If we know someone is not as able as us, we cover them to help get them started if we enjoy their company and aren't getting worked. Usually they don't even realize it's happening.
The envelope and expenses agreement beforehand is a great way to travel. I've used it in the past and it is a fair way to handle things with unfamiliar companions. Leftovers go to the driver.

Brother and I finally got tired planning and guys show up and, "Oh, damn. I forgot." So now, "Bring your own sleeping arrangements, pay up for grub. If you plan on bringing your own food or whatever, you sure as hell aren't using our equipment. Weeded out the riff raff that way. Now always have a crew of 5 or 6, some hunt some don't. Brother has it down to a science. Anybody who can't afford $55 tab for grub for a week has a problem. Everybody pays up on the first of three planning meetings. Guys have had to back out once in awhile last minute and know that they don't get food tab back. Brother never has to do dishes, chop wood, or any camp stuff. We chip in and buy a gift card for him as a tip. He loves life now.

Yeah, doing logistics for a group who doesn't understand how much goes into planning a trip is a thankless task. I hunt alone but have to do logistics for work sometimes and it sucks when people show up and have no idea what you went through to get everything together. Sounds like your brother finally is appreciated.

Back to the OP, There certainly is wear and tear on equipment. If people in your group realized that they might offer to pay for more of the food or pick up an extra tank of gas along the way (as I now see Trial153 suggests...)

I'm going with or without you. I'm driving my truck, it's a control thing. If you want to split the gas that's fine. Split the food if you're going to eat. Tent is mine, your welcome in it as long as you abide by the "no shoes" rule. My cot and bag, bring your own. Don't sit in camp after you've tagged out and WE'VE packed out your animal, you'll more than likely be walking home.

I do a lot of solo hunting, but I enjoy the solitude. I will help anyone, but not going to carry the load for you.

Yep we split gas and lodging if we have to stay in a hotel. Food you are on your own, but I always have jerky and summer sausage that I share and don't expect anything in return. If I don't use my vehicle I will offer to pay for a oil change. I have also brought extra equipment that others have taken advantage of because they have forgotten something. This year was unseasonably warm and I packed an extra Firstlite short sleeved shirt brand new never used. My hunting partner didn't bring any short sleeved shirts, so I told him he was welcome to wear it. He did and he tore a hole in the shoulders with his pack. He helped me pack out my elk so I told him not to worry about replacing it. He did anyway. These are the type of people I enjoy hunting with.

Our group splits consumables/travel evenly. The only problem I have with it all is the beer. My "share" has been $50 give or take per trip. I don't drink while in the mountains. It's hard enough rendering oxygen out of the air at 10,000 ft (camp elevation) and staying hydrated without drinking a bunch of beer. When we hit town before heading home is a different story. To keep peace I don't say anything. In the grand scheme of a hunt it isn't much money. Just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I usually supply my quad for camp as well. Yes,it has acquired some scratches and hard use. Here again I don't say much. Another fella provides a 30 ft camper. Kinda a wash. Hunting is an expensive proposition. Divide the travel and grub. If an expensive personal item (tent,quad,camper) gets damaged,the others should step up and help with the repairs. Unless they want to find a new crew. I had a rear rack damaged on the King Quad in 2013. It was covered without hesitation. Good screw.

Like others have said we split food for breakfast , lunch, dinner, pack snacks your on your own, but we usually share with each other. Fuel cost we split, but usually who ever drives we don't have them pay for fuel. We have a good crew & everything always evens out in the end. There have been a few guys that have never been invited back with our crew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back