300 Win Mag loads

gregt9146

So last summer I reloaded a buddy of mine some 300 Win Mag rounds, and I used CCI Magnum rifle primers cause I didn't have any Fed 215M. Well since then I found and bought the Fed 215M primers and I loaded him up some more rounds this summer, and they are shooting 4" lower and 4" to the right than the rounds with the CCI primers. Is this common with just the swap of the primer? everything else in the load was the same. if anybody has any insight on this that would be great as I didn't think it would change it that drastically.

I would run a few of the other load down the barrel as well to see if they are still shooting where they did last year. It could be a loose scope or a rifle issue.

Different primers will effect burn rate and pressures from a load that is the same in all other respects. changes in how the powder is ignited and burns can change velocity. These factors can cause accuracy to change.

Different primers will effect burn rate and pressures from a load that is the same in all other respects. changes in how the powder is ignited and burns can change velocity. These factors can cause accuracy to change.

agree! If you change one thing with reloading, chances are it changes everything. In my experience. Good luck!!!

I know he said that the loads with the Fed 215M's grouped better, so that is what he want to use

The chamber doesn't matter. 300 Win, 30/30, 243...change a component, change the dynamics of the round, with that rifle. After you can insure that the rifle has not had some inherent mechanical alteration, then the only way to determine if the degree of variance is due to the primer is to shoot both in a single range session, under controlled conditions.

Yes, I did have a tiny bit in another container that i blended into the new container. I when I saw a tiny bit I mean less than 72 grains cause i couldn't even get one load out of that canister. So i dumped it in the new can and shook it up.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back