Caribou Gear

mule deer in sage country tactics

PAGOAT

After reading the thread about bedding mule deer and when to stop glassing "I assume because they went in timber" I got thinking of my hunt in a couple weeks. It is all sage country and hills that I don't think a deer can really hide in. Should I be able to glass all day and pick apart where there are rocks sticking up. I assume they will be bedded next to rocks on in any shade the can find ? Maybe side hills towards the top so the can see a long way around them ? All the deer I saw last year were bumped up by other hunters and just kind of running around. Just trying to figure out where I should focus on in rolling hill sage country. Thanks everyone

Mule deer can bed and hide in Sage brush. The old adage of get high and glass works about everywhere.

Mule deer can bed and hide in Sage brush. The old adage of get high and glass works about everywhere.

Yup. The area I hunt in Oregon has draws with sage brush in them that go well above my head. On Google Earth it looks like that country couldn't hide deer, but on the ground it's amazing how they can disappear in a place with no trees. The key for me has been to glass slowly and methodically with my binos on a tripod. Even then I'm sure I miss more than I see.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back