Iowa Pheasants?

1_pointer

With time off being of the essence, I've considering taking a trip (or two) to Iowa for pheasants this year. Looking at some of the public access lands there, it appears one can get to more than a few places within 6hrs from where I live. If I can swing it, I'd like to do a couple of weekends, leave Friday after work and get home Sunday late. I notice many of the DNR maps list pheasants as potential game on the property, but any direction folks would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I'm thinking mostly the central to eastern part of the state (Iowa City down to Ottuma over to the IL line). I know the reports show more birds in the NW corner and I may be able to be swayed to drive the extra distance, but that's putting me close to SD drive time... Limits of birds aren't needed, just looking for someplace to get my young dog some more experience with wild birds. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
When the maps list the wildlife they are basically telling you the type of habitat that is on that property. Waterfowl means marsh deer means timber and so on. I do know pheasant numbers are looking alot better than they were a few years back. Thats about all I can help you with. Good luck.

I tried to send a private message, but I'm on my phone so it's hard telling if it worked! Let me know if you have any questions.

It's been a long long time since I've shot a pheasant or even bothered trying. All I can offer is if you're looking at the Hawkeye area between I.C. and Cedar Rapids forget it. Stay away from Iowa City or any of the other large population centers. The interactive website on the IDNR website is helpful. Don't over look the smaller county area or marsh edges.

It you get close to SD, go to SD.

This +1 -- I am sure there are fun pheasant opportunities in IA, as there are in my home state of MN, but there is a reason I leave home, pay non-res fees and travel costs -- it really is that much better.

If that was possible for a weekend hunt, I'd do that gladly. Thanks for the suggestion. If I tag out early on a hunt in Oct and can save a few days of leave I just very well may do that. But, time off is of the essence... ;)

If you have the ability, take Hank to MT with you. Lots of sharpies in that country. Shoot the first bull you see, then work the dog.

If you have the ability, take Hank to MT with you. Lots of sharpies in that country. Shoot the first bull you see, then work the dog.
That's something I've strongly pondered, but hadn't decided on. So as to lessen the headache and reduce the amount of yelling, I'd probably board him until that tag was notched and have a reference of where to do so. 'Twould complicate logistics a bit, but probably be worth it. Besides, Hank's never tent camped yet...

This again for the most part. Road side counts are really low but I don't put a huge amount of weight into that. If you pound public ground you can still get some birds if you have a good dog.

If I was you I would come to Des Moines at least. If you are willing to drive that far and hunt week days I can put you onto a few pretty good areas. Let me know.

I have been a lifetime Iowa resident and have hunted pheasants most of my life here in Iowa however I have not hunted them in about 10 years because of the low numbers in central Iowa.They are making a rebound but nothing like it was years ago. If you can I would go to South Dakota.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I'm sure I will be in touch with a few of you as I narrow down dates and areas.

I got back on Sunday. Hank and I found a few birds and had a very good time! He made some great strides IMO. If/when I can find my camera cord, I'll give a more full accounting. Makes me really, really wish I lived near wild pheasants...

IMG_2970.jpg

Lady Stella and I had 7.73 miles on the gps yesterday all on public land. We got two birds but if I would have shot straight and followed the pup closer at times we would have easily had our 3 for a limit. We flushed 8 roosters and 6 hens total.

Very well done!! I'm going to pour over the calendar and try to make another run at them before the season is out; wife willing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back