First deer of the year

Timberhawk

I set a goal this season of bagging a deer on public land in the Minnesota 601 deer zone (Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area) and got it done tonight on the first sit. Believe it or not, I actually had to sit in stop-and-go rush hour traffic to get to this spot. A 2 mile walk back was far enough to get me away from others and apparently far enough to get into some good numbers of deer. I had good action all night and ended up shooting the 10th of eleven deer that came within 50 yards of me. It was the most consistent action I've ever had in a night of hunting, public or private land. Then the fun began packing the quarters, loins, and misc meat along with my stand and other junk back out solo in one trip. Tonight I'm pumped so it's a good/tired hurt, but I have a feeling that tomorrow the "good" part might be dropped. I tip my hat to all the non-flatlanders that do even longer pack-outs over rougher terrain for all of their animals.

Nice ! A tip I got years ago was make a cart to pull behind a bike if you can bike into the spot. What piece of public land you were hunting?

Wisdom right there!! My first elk hunt, my buddy and I shot 3 elk (2 bulls and a cow) in 2 days. Pack out was 2.1 miles each way with elevation going from 8600' (at the kill site), up to 9800' at the top of a ridge, back down to 9600' at camp. Both of us mid-forties and fairly broken down old Vets. When we were finished the second day (and tagged out) we sat in the sunshine drinking Busch Light and Rumpelminze(our traditional drink post success). That memory is burned into my mind and I recall it often when I need a positive pick-me-up.
Congratulations! You might hurt tomorrow, but that'll pass, the ones we work for are the ones we remember the longest.

Nice ! A tip I got years ago was make a cart to pull behind a bike if you can bike into the spot. What piece of public land you were hunting?

I was in the MN River Valley Wildlife Refuge.
I looked into a cart, but opted to use my pack instead for the moment. Did you retro-fit an old kid's carrier/bike cart? That was my thought, but my kids are young enough that we still use it quite a bit so I might be a few years away from "borrowing" that. I wonder if saddle bags on a rear cart would be good enough?

I was in the MN River Valley Wildlife Refuge.
I looked into a cart, but opted to use my pack instead for the moment. Did you retro-fit an old kid's carrier/bike cart? That was my thought, but my kids are young enough that we still use it quite a bit so I might be a few years away from "borrowing" that. I wonder if saddle bags on a rear cart would be good enough?
I have not done the cart thing, I usually walk as some of the trails don't allow bikes. Good to hear someone else getting some deer out of them.

Last edited:
That's awesome, I love hearing about flatlanders working for it and getting it done on public land. That's a feat. Out of our group, I think we've only gotten 3 or 4 animals out whole over the years. Builds character!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back