Heard my first bugle

R.K.

Made the 17hr drive and spent last week in Colorado camping & fishing before a wedding. Wound up at 10,000' for a night on the edge of a wilderness, and set up camp next to a creek. About 9pm, eating dinner in the dark, a bull cuts loose from the ridge across the creek. Then one answers. Heard 4 in total before I went to sleep, bugles and chuckles, but nothing quite as close as the first one.

I had heard someone say that you could feel it if they were close, but I had no idea. So that's it- I'm done. I'm hooked. Next year, I'll take the plunge into western hunting. No idea what state, or what season, but it's going to happen come hell or high water. Just not that unit, since it takes a point to draw the tag.

I'd like to say checking grayling off the fishing bucket list was the high point of the trip, but I think feeling a bugle in the dark might have topped it.

See you next year,

R.K.

Neat story. The first bugle I heard was in Wyoming in 2014. I was sleeping in the back of my SUV, windows up and the bull woke me.. I'm not a light sleeper. It had to be right outside the car. I only had a cow tag, but it was still exciting to hear.

I wound up hearing bugles all week, and was able to find the elk several times just by going to the bugles.

I heard my first bugle 2010 in Colorado and will never forget it! Been hooked ever since.

My first bugle was in Wyoming during rifle season 2002. The best sequence I have ever heard was in Colorado in 2009 when there were 6 bulls all within 300 yards of me bugling at one another for about and hour. The best sound in the world is the bugle of a bull elk!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back