Black Gold Sight Tape Help

uster19

I upgraded to a Black Gold Verdict sight. I also recently switched arrows and had a new string put on. I went through and tuned the bow so it was shooting great. I have the 5 pins set 20-60 yards. I decided I was going to utilize the sight tape so I borrowed my friends chrono and shot 10 arrows. The chrono shots varied 254-256 fps with my setup. Slower than expected, made me want to go get a new bow. I then did the backcountry bowhunting calculator to see if the chrono was right. I got a calculated 263 fps with my setup. I then watched the S&S Archery video on setting up the sight tape. I set my middle pin to be my mover and shot 20 yards and 50 yards. I then found the sight tape to match my marks. Here is where I am confused. The sight tape says it is for 283 fps. I could see a little variation of a few fps but 20 fps seems to be quite a bit. I don't care what fps I am shooting but it seems weird they are that different. I verified the pin at 20 and 50 yards using the sight tape. Is this something others have encountered? As long as the pin is on at 20 and 50 am I good?

BTW. I absolutely love the sight. The quality and ease of adjusting and getting it set is awesome. I was never very accurate at 50 yards with my old sight but with this one I can hold a 3" group consistently.

Been there and done that. I've been using a three pin Montana Black Gold for a couple years. I shot a bunch thru my chronograph and figured that the tape that matched that number would be the one. It wasn't......had to use some marks on tape to figure the gaps then compare to preprinted tapes.........I ended up with a Black Gold tape that was a bit off my actual velocity. From what I have read and experienced that is fairly normal. Gotta use what matches the spot the arrows hit for sure.

I figured as long as it matched the fps didn't matter. Makes me feel better that I did it right since others had the same issue. Thanks.

I've had same issue.
You have to look at it like you would a ballistic program for a rifle where you have to also put in bullet weight and bc of a bullet. Not everyone uses the same weight or same style fletching which cause a different drag on arrow. The sight tapes are just a general reference.

Looking at the sight tapes, I just happen to have copies of them in my desk, that's quite a discrepancy. I did not use a chrono to set mine. I will say it took a while to settle on a tape and as I got better at grouping at long distance, 80 to 100, every time I changed a tape it was to a slower one.

I also wonder if using your middle pin, I assume that's your 40, is part of the reason you ended up with a faster tape. I would be verifying that sucker out at longer distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back