The thoughts of a first timer.

PlusFive

Hello, I apologize if this gets a little long winded. I am cutting my teeth on my first season of western hunting here around the Bozeman M.T. area. Due to school and work I only get a day or two a week to hunt, but these are my experiences and thoughts after the first few weeks of season. I hope that those who are thinking about coming out west for the first time will read this and hear advice from one greenhorn to another. So here it begins.

Hunting area:
Almost all of the hunting I have done thus far was in unit 301. For starters I have come to know this unit as a crowded one. Not necessarily with hunters, but with hikers, dog walkers, and Mt bikers. Everyone I have met has been very nice and asked how the hunting has been and some have even told me where they have seen game in the past. I appreciated this. Elk and deer sign is not too difficult to find. I have found some wallows, rubs, and great trails, but have only observed one cow elk scooting across a ridge a few hundred yards away, other than that I have heard a few bugles here and there, but never close enough to them to get the heart really going.

Scouting and Big Country:
In my scouting I marked off a few areas that show promise for elk, but one has fell almost off the list due to the amount of people using the trails and resources there. Even though there is good elk sign, the sign is only updated at night. The daily commotion drives them onto private land. The other spots have been harder to get to as I have learned it is easy to scout out paths that look okay on google earth and end up being back breaking hikes and climbs over dead falls and steep hills. So, makes sure to plan multiple ways into a spot in case one is not do-able safely. Also remember this is big country not the 50 or 100 acre whitetail farm of the mid-west, there are many places animals can hide.

Advice I missed:
The next piece of advice I underrated was glass. Invest in a good pair of binoculars. I have an okay spotting scope and would much rather have binos. I have had issues picking out deer with the scope and then being able to find exactly where they were on the hillside. This cost me a stalk on a group of mule deer one day. I would have rather invested in a good pair of binoculars that allows me to pick out game and where the game is on the mtn.

The elk rut thus far:
I have heard big things about the elk rut. As of right now the rut has had no impact on my hunting. I have not heard many bugles and have not seen any rutting activity on public land, private land is a different story. Now that we have snow I am hoping for a change in luck. This Sunday I am heading about hour into the mtn range to try and see if my luck changes higher, but I am not too optimistic. The conclusion here is that the elk rut, like the whitetail rut, is a time of potentially high elk activity, but not everywhere and every time during the rut. The elk rut makes some good spots better, others stay the same, and poor spots are... still poor spots.

What I have had success at:
WHITETAILS! The whitetail deer here are everywhere. I have got into the whitetails almost every time I have hunted and could have filled by tag on small bucks and does multiple times. I think this area is extremely underrated for whitetail. So, get a deer tag and you should have no problem getting a whitetail to bring at least some good venison home. There are big bucks here as well, but they are still pretty nocturnal as they are at home in the midwest.

I am hoping to post my thoughts every so often throughout the season. Most posting will be of mistakes as I make a lot of them while learning haha. However, I will also try to post some sort of success when it comes about.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Took me 2-3 seasons before I even SAW an elk. Stick with it. You'll find 'em and the fun will REALLY start.

You gotta keep your head up. I'm in my third year of elk hunting out here in Montana with tag soup the first two years. Last year I finally saw some elk during rifle season but too far to make a move. This year I have been out five times and been close to elk on three of those hunts. I passed on a cow at 35 yards after being at full draw on a very nice bull who didn't present a good shot. I'm second guessing not shooting at the cow, but I am having fun now. I know where the elk live now and I have never seen anyone else hunting at this place on public land. Granted, it's almost 4 miles up the mountain where a lot of seeps and greens are on the mountain. It's frustrating but any day in the mountains is a better day than in town. Find some nasty stuff where others don't want to go in those heavily trafficked areas and you may find the elk holed up. But I'm no expert. Good luck!

Oh, and I haven't heard any bugling either. I got into a shouting match with the initial bull I had a staredown with, but that was on the 10th so I think he was being more territorial than actually involved in the rut. Everyone I have talked to is saying the same thing about public land. Maybe one or two bugles in the morning but they won't respond. So you aren't the only one with quiet elk problems.

Red it sounds like you have a good plan for up coming days. I am treating archery season as a scouting season with possibility to filling a tag. At this point I am looking forward to rifle season. I am fairly well versed in using other hunters to my advantage, as I have shot several deer that way back home in WI.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back