Caribou Gear

sealant use on reloads

VAspeedgoat

I am a novice at best on reloading mainly due to time constraints but I have a question to you experts. Do any of you use sealant on the primers or around the bullets? I have hunted in some wet environments and have wondered if moisture can get into those cases. I don't crimp the cases but assume that would fix it around the bullet but I'm not sure what that would do to the pressure? Also, will sealant around the bullet effect pressure?

I use it on my primers but nothing on the bullet. Can't say it's really needed but it's cheap enough.

I am a novice at best on reloading mainly due to time constraints but I have a question to you experts. Do any of you use sealant on the primers or around the bullets? I have hunted in some wet environments and have wondered if moisture can get into those cases. I don't crimp the cases but assume that would fix it around the bullet but I'm not sure what that would do to the pressure? Also, will sealant around the bullet effect pressure?

Never used any sealant. Might if my ammo were going to spend any time under water..

Last edited:
I use clear fingernail polish around the primers and cartridge neck bullet junction. I wipe it off with a shotgun patch so there is no excess. I've tested them in a bucket of water for an hour and the rounds went "bang" and stayed in group. Just a personal ACD thing. GJ

Great idea to use sealants if you plan to swim to your hunting area.
Otherwise it's likely not needed.

They make sealant? I have had plenty on hand loads in pant pockets that wick moisture in the cold when hiking. Ruined a few cell phones but never had a misfire.

Never used it. If it was a big issue you'd hear more about it from long range precision shooters as gas would escape easier when fired as to water seeping into it.

<SARCASM MODE=ON> If you are going on a backpacking hunt keep in mind that the sealant will add a measureable amount of weight to your pack. </SARCASM MODE=OFF>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back