Scout to Hunt website - Opinions Wanted - Has this gone too far?

At the same time, getting skunked too often does suck and pushes well intended folks out of the sport, so helpful services are appropriate and useful at times.

As does having the right definition of "success" going in. Too many people can only be happy with a notched tag at any cost.

After 5 tags, and about 40-50 days of elk hunting, I would have knocked the teeth of a feller who told me that cow wasn't a trophy. DIY Elk hunting is awesome because it is hard.

If you are using a trail cam on public land I hunt during the elk season, then be sure to label it with your name and address. You may get a nice package delivered to your door about Christmas time.

As does having the right definition of "success" going in. Too many people can only be happy with a notched tag at any cost.

After 5 tags, and about 40-50 days of elk hunting, I would have knocked the teeth of a feller who told me that cow wasn't a trophy. DIY Elk hunting is awesome because it is hard.

Definitely. Modern hunting TV/Youtube have created thousands of hunters who think you fill a tag in 30 minutes with commercial breaks and that if you aren't going for B&C why bother. It bleeds into internet forums too. If somebody asks for guidance finding a trophy bull elk 3 pages of advice follows, a guy asks for tag draw advice just to put a little meat on the table and enjoy the scenery, and typically they get some yawns and "does are easy just pick a unit and grab your gun" comments.

In the long run it will hurt hunting also. People will think there's no point in hunting if they don't kill a B&C every time and will eventually give it up and not pass it on to others

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back