Lightweight 4 person backpacking tent suggestions

Woof that would be the worst tent in the world to backpack with 17lbs. Yikes

Try MSR Pappa Hubba, Big Agnes Copper Spur, or Seek outside/Kifaru if you want to try a tepee style tent.

The MSR/Big Agnes are you best bet if you are new to the backpacking game (easy set up and pretty forgiving in terms of where and how you set them up) and should weight in at 5-6lbs. My wife and I use the MSR hubba hubba (2man) with just the fly and ground cloth and can get our packs and dog in with us. That set up weighs around 2lbs and takes up very little space in the bag.

When our family of 4 goes, we either pair up with two 4lb MSR Elixr 3 tents (2lbs each) or if we want all in one we go with 14 lb Kelty Trail Ridge 6 Tent (3.25 lbs each). Both are great options and both have a little extra room for the dog and gear. We are fine with 3lbs or below per person for tents, I know the hard core folks will push for below 2.

I use a Jack Wolfskin Chinook II two man but would DEFINITELY go with a teepee like the ones mentioned above if stepping up to a 4 man size for backpacking.

Make sure you check dimensions, "4 person" ultralights are much more like 3 person unless you guys are really friendly.

I think the Seeksoutside Courthouse looks like it'd be a winner. Says 3 cots + stove, so sans stove you should be able to get 4 in there. Outside of that I'd be looking at their and Kifaru's 6man tipi's. That'd allow for max room and the ability to use a stove.

https://seekoutside.com/courthouse/

I think either would fit handily on a goat! And being floorless, you could bring the goat in to hang out with you... :D

Make sure you check dimensions, "4 person" ultralights are much more like 3 person unless you guys are really friendly.

Exactly...for 4 people you really need a 6 person tent IMO unless you want to be real close :)

I think the Seeksoutside Courthouse looks like it'd be a winner. Says 3 cots + stove, so sans stove you should be able to get 4 in there. Outside of that I'd be looking at their and Kifaru's 6man tipi's. That'd allow for max room and the ability to use a stove.

https://seekoutside.com/courthouse/

I think either would fit handily on a goat! And being floorless, you could bring the goat in to hang out with you... :D

Agree, but they ARE NOT cheap. #tentgoals

My family of five will take two or three tents when backpacking. I can't imagine trying to backpack a six person tent.

My family of five will take two or three tents when backpacking. I can't imagine trying to backpack a six person tent.

We do a mix. If the big tent was heavily weighted in one primary piece it might be tricky, but the one we have breaks down to 4 pretty equal ~3.25 lb bundles. I haven't notice much difference between the 3.25 lb tent hike vs the 2lb tent hike (when we take our two 4lb tents). For what we do, 1.25 lbs a person doesn't matter, but I fully appreciate that some others push those details harder. FWIW, I prefer the two 2-man tents so my wife and I don't have the kids and dog laying all over us, but my wife likes to have everyone together (and it's not about creature comforts, my wife is hard core when it comes to her hiking)

Woof that would be the worst tent in the world to backpack with 17lbs. Yikes

Try MSR Pappa Hubba, Big Agnes Copper Spur, or Seek outside/Kifaru if you want to try a tepee style tent.

The MSR/Big Agnes are you best bet if you are new to the backpacking game (easy set up and pretty forgiving in terms of where and how you set them up) and should weight in at 5-6lbs. My wife and I use the MSR hubba hubba (2man) with just the fly and ground cloth and can get our packs and dog in with us. That set up weighs around 2lbs and takes up very little space in the bag.

I won't be packing it, I have goats to pack my gear for me. I wanted something 17 pounds or later, so when I'm by myself I have plenty a room to put stuff inside out of the elements, and then when I have my wife, two kids, and myself we can all sleep in one tent.
Matt

I think I would still opt towards the tipi style, although that is an interesting design.

I have to agree with the tipi idea. But for my family of five we use an alps mountaineering outfitter tent. We have the five man version and its fine for five bed rolls. It has two vestibule too. I think it weights 15. It had a super heavy floor and heavy duty zippers and the fly is a bit heavier too. Yes its heavy but my kids havent torn it up yet so money and weight well spent.

We replaced our BA Buffalo Pass (over 12lbs I think) with the Kelty TN4. Definitely wouldn't want to share with 3 other dudes but works well for me and the crew (wife and son/12 yr old and daughter/9). I wouldn't call it light compared to a teepee but seems well made and has a cool stargazing tarp fold back feature.

https://www.kelty.com/tn4/

Well I went ahead and got this tent. Got a good deal off Amazon $300 free shipping, had too sign up for there CC but that did not bother me. I wanted too get a different option for a tent, since my brother bought me a lightweight cot from cabela's for christmas. I will be carrying the tent/cot, "maybe" and the goats will do the rest.....
Matt

I have a North Face Himalayan 47, it's heavy but the weight can be divided amongst the group. Yesterday I picked up a Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 at a swapmeet. It has 2 stuff sacks to split the weight. It appears to have never been used. Factory folds and spotless poles and stakes still bundled in rubber bands. I will most likely sell it on ebay. https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/s...ear-Trango-4-Tent_10236019_10208_10000001_-1_

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back