Nosler BT for Elk?

I've seen some cut a ways, and the 180BT in 308 does appear to have a thicker copper lower section than say a 150BT or 165BT. And several people have no problems with harvesting elk with them. The Accubond is very close in size and shape and I have found that the impact point don't shift very much at all (if any). The AB is a very similar bullet but with a BONDED core. So I ask this, why not use the AB? I've when as far as to do load development with the lesser expensive BT then swap the bullet to a AB, load a few, shoot to verify, go hunt.

The 7mm 150 gr BT is a very tough bullet.

+1 on that. I've got a picture somewhere of three recovered bullets that were pulled from three different elk after passing through both shoulders and getting stuck on far side hide. Two of them are 150 grain ballistic tips from about 60 yards and 470 yards. The other 160 grain accubond was shot right at 300 yards if my memory is correct and you would not be able to tell which bullet was which just looking at them. Both 150 and 160 grain accubond were shot at 3200fps from two different mashburns.

Have a friend that kills everything that walks with 150 grain ballistic tip from his mashburn

I would go with an accubond if you can. BTs are designed to expand and fragment much more violently than the accubond. An accubond or partition are definitely more suitable for elk. I think the risk of injuring an elk is much greater with the BT, especially if you hit a rib or a shoulder.

Totally agree, if the shot is placed well the bt will do great. But if you need to go through bones i would be hesistant. A lot would depend on distance and load quality. While a bt could probably do the job, there are definitely better options out there!

In a perfect world we all sound like George Jones in the shower and partitions have a silver delrin tip.

+1 on that. I've got a picture somewhere of three recovered bullets that were pulled from three different elk after passing through both shoulders and getting stuck on far side hide. Two of them are 150 grain ballistic tips from about 60 yards and 470 yards. The other 160 grain accubond was shot right at 300 yards if my memory is correct and you would not be able to tell which bullet was which just looking at them. Both 150 and 160 grain accubond were shot at 3200fps from two different mashburns.

Have a friend that kills everything that walks with 150 grain ballistic tip from his mashburn

I'm pretty sure he's the one gave me the rec on the 150s.. it's all I run I'm my 7mm saum, even though the box doesn't say I should.

I'm pretty sure he's the one gave me the rec on the 150s.. it's all I run I'm my 7mm saum, even though the box doesn't say I should.

Yep it's the same guy. I'd be running them in my saum but it likes 160 grain accubonds over rl17 better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back