Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nosler BT for Elk?

kbhillhunter

Does any have experience using Nosler Ballistic Tip (30-06, 180gr) on elk? This is not the trophy grade ammo, just regular ballistic tip. Nosler recommends the ammo for deer, pronghorn and hogs so I'm a little concerned the penetration of this bullet means I should not be using this round on an elk.

I've used Hornady SST 180 gr. which is basically the same bullet on elk several times & haven't had one get away yet, as many on this site will agree shot placement as with any bullet is key. I'll hopefully be using it on a wolf next month in MT. Good Luck on your hunt.

There's quite a difference in construction between the various calibers and weights of ballistic tips. Do a search of cross sections on Google and you'll see that some are constructed to penetrate pretty well, while others are not. As I recall, the 180 gr .308 version is pretty tough and has a nice, thick shank. I've never shot an elk with one, but if I had to bet my 5 bucks, I'd bet that it would do just fine.
However, while I might take those bullets deer hunting and take advantage of a good shot opportunity on an elk, if I knew I was going elk hunting, I'd choose something else. Many people find that loading accubonds gives them the same poi as their ballistic tips and a 180 gr AB is an excellent choice for elk hunting. Partitions, all-copper bullets, Scirocco's, Interbonds, Trophy Bonded Tips... these are all great bullets that I'd choose over a Ballistic Tip, given the choice.

I talked to nosler about this exact question. They said the ballistic tips are not for elk. They are designed for smaller game. The ballistic tips expand faster and don't penetrate deep enough for elk.

My family and I have killed a lot of elk with the .270 150 grain ballistic tips. I don't reload them super hot, though. Never lost an animal with shots from 100 to 400 yards.

I've seen some impressive cross sections of those .284 120 gr ballistic tips. For some reason they build them a lot tougher than the 140 and 150 gr versions. That said, I've killed deer with the 140's and been very impressed with the performance.

I've seen some impressive cross sections of those .284 120 gr ballistic tips. For some reason they build them a lot tougher than the 140 and 150 gr versions. That said, I've killed deer with the 140's and been very impressed with the performance.

The 7mm 150 gr BT is a very tough bullet.

I would go with an accubond if you can. BTs are designed to expand and fragment much more violently than the accubond. An accubond or partition are definitely more suitable for elk. I think the risk of injuring an elk is much greater with the BT, especially if you hit a rib or a shoulder.

I talked to nosler about this exact question. They said the ballistic tips are not for elk. They are designed for smaller game. The ballistic tips expand faster and don't penetrate deep enough for elk.

Generally or for the 180 in particular?

Because there's a few of them with a beefed up jacket and will handle large game quite well.

Generally or for the 180 in particular?

Because there's a few of them with a beefed up jacket and will handle large game quite well.

Yes and even the silver tips. They said if it's a ballistic tip it's not designed for elk.

The same people that claim a bt won't make it through an elk rib...will recommend core-locs in factory fodder as just fine for elk...funny stuff.

Yes and even the silver tips. They said if it's a ballistic tip it's not designed for elk.

I'm gonna have to say Nosler hasn't tested their own products enough.

Either that or they are trying to upsell to the more expensive bullet lines.

Of course, you could have got a CS rep that doesn't know what he's talking about.

In any event, BT's are one of my favorite bullets. The heavy for caliber ones seem to work as good or better than most other bullet design of the same weight, and that goes for elk too.

Just curious how much big game you've shot with bt's? How many elk with them?

Obviously none since I don't use them. You can use whatever you want but I'm not going to spend all my hours researching, working to have the money to make a trip out west and then use a bullet that's not designed for elk to hunt elk with and have the bullet be the reason I go home empty handed. The silver tips are actually pretty expensive.

That's funny stuff.

This cow elk my nephew shot last year was with a 120 grain BT from his 7-08 at 70 yards...probably hit the cow at 2750 FPS.

1014161802c.jpg

Broke the on-side shoulder, through the heart, bottom of lungs, and the bullet went through the shoulder blade on the opposite shoulder and was recovered just under the hide.

The "explosive" BT that isn't supposed to make it through an elk rib, let alone the shoulder, flesh, hide, etc.

2016101795120055.jpg

Buy em books and buy em books and all they do is rip off the cover

Broke the on-side shoulder, through the heart, bottom of lungs, and the bullet went through the shoulder blade on the opposite shoulder and was recovered just under the hide.

The "explosive" BT that isn't supposed to make it through an elk rib, let alone the shoulder, flesh, hide, etc.

If I had experiences like this with a bullet, I wouldn't want to switch either and don't blame anyone for sticking with it. Unfortunately this has not been my experience with this bullet or other bullets of similar construction. While I have no doubt a BT will kill an elk, I just think from my experience, fellow hunting partner's experience (even on deer size game) and reading about what the BT was designed to do that there are better options out there such as the accubond. But everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back