Nosler BT for Elk?

I don't hunt big game with Nosler ballistic tips, I've been using a different target bullet, the Hornady AMAX, thin jacketed, almost like a thin jacketed FMJ/hollowpoint.

I never read the box. Jasher is that okay with you? What would you recommend and why?

I'd never tear a tag off a pillow. You could die.

Obviously the intelligence in this thread is only shared by a few. Most of the responses have absolutely nothing to do with the questions asked only trying to take cheap shots or make comments that doesn't do anyone any good what so ever. Sorry if I based my opinion on this from the company that actually knows exactly what the bullet will do. They have nothing better to do than give customers false information and not test their products.

I doubt Winchester would RECOMMEND I use my M70 .243 on elk. However, I've watched it tip them over with one shot on more than one occasion. Nosler's recommendation is just that, a recommendation taking the lowest common denominator into consideration.

I don't hunt big game with Nosler ballistic tips, I've been using a different target bullet, the Hornady AMAX, thin jacketed, almost like a thin jacketed FMJ/hollowpoint.

I never read the box. Jasher is that okay with you? What would you recommend and why?

I'd never tear a tag off a pillow. You could die.

Fmj and hollow points are 2 different bullets all hunting rounds are hollow points that's what causes them to expand. The polymer tip on a hollow point helps start and control it.

Wow, guys. When these things get all weird and contentious is when I usually move on to hockey. ��

Nobody will be convinced by any argument at this point.

I have used the Winchester Ballistic Tip ( Nosler) for years. Yes I have killed a couple bulls and several cows With them. The longer the range the better, But... I have now switched to Accubonds. I will say the BT are deadly accurate out of my Rem 700 300WM but moving forward I am only using them for deer. While I have killed many elk and have only lost one with BT, it just never seemed like it was quite the the best option, it just comes apart to fast.

This thread is hilarious. A bunch of guys, all bolted together, who haven't shot any elk with any bullet....trying to tell another group of guys who have shot an ark full, what works and what doesn't. Some guys read labels on bullet boxes...some kill elk. Good luck with the reading.

This thread is hilarious. A bunch of guys, all bolted together, who haven't shot any elk with any bullet....trying to tell another group of guys who have shot an ark full, what works and what doesn't. Some guys read labels on bullet boxes...some kill elk. Good luck with the reading.

Can you please show me where I said it's on the box? Or where I said I have never shot an elk? If I remember correctly more than one person said that they have shot elk with the bullet in question and would never use it again.

Having never used a ballistic tip on any big game sure doesn't slow you down on talking out of your ass about how they work. Experience and facts both matter. Interestingly enough, out of the 66 elk I've shot, I lost only one with a rifle...shot with a 250 grain partition from a 338.

Some time ago, I spent about a dozen winters in Gardiner Mt during the Gardiner late elk hunt - observing the festivities on a daily basis.
For those unfamiliar, during that time, about 24000+ (yes 24000+) hunters showed up to harvest about 2/3's that many elk - 16000+/_.......
I saw a lotta shooting and a lotta killing and a lotta' wounding.......
One guarantee - partitions, BT's, interlocks, powerpoints, Sierra Boattails, corelokts, etc, etc, etc, - all performed about as well as they could when launched from the rifle that was in the shooter's hands that pulled the trigger.
post # 76?????.................

Heck, I don't even know if that matters. I've had folks try to tell me about certain bullets and how awesome they are, but I had a drastically different experience. These were on whitetails, but related to different experiences with bullets from others that claimed they had shot them.

I think you answered your own question...many claim a lot of things. I don't make it a practice to recommend or bad mouth a bullet I've not shot a fair bit. I was skeptical about both bts and accubonds when I first started using both. Mostly from b.s. like is being spread on this thread. Then I shot a few dozen critters with them both...found out for myself they are both quality bullets that work very well on big game.

Last edited:
Well, I'll chime back in. I've killed elk, more with my bow than my rifle, but I've never shot one with a Nosler anything - I couldn't get partitions to group and, although I've gone pretty good on the range with BTs I've never sent one at an elk simply because Nosler does not recommend it as its designed for rapid expansion as opposed to penetration. All the elk I've killed with a rifle were with Hornady Custom BTSP Interlocks which Hornady does back as being adequate for elk in larger calibers. All except a cow I shot in the small of the neck with a core lokt. Anyway, I don't really care what others use, I've just always been inclined to go with the recommendations of the manufacturer. So shoot the he'll out of those BTs.

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question...many claim a lot of things. I don't make it a practice to recommend or bad mouth a bullet I've not shot a fair bit. I was skeptical about both bts and accubonds when I first started using both. Mostly from b.s. like is being spread on this thread. Then I shot a few dozen critters with them both...found out for myself they are both quality bullets that work very well on big game.

Actually, the folks I was talking about were touting the bullets as being good. These bullets were Nosler ballistic silver tips and Seirra Game Kings, more specifically, in a 25-06. I wouldn't shoot those bullets again, if they were free.

Wonder what they would think of breaksrunner and his 220 Swift... :D

I've shot 3 cow elk with a 140gr BT out of a .270, the bullet worked great and the cows died quick. Now a days i prefer the
Accubond. I don't think it would be any problem to practice with BT's and hunt with Accubonds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back