Nosler BT for Elk?

To each his own, but why would one use a bullet for a purpose the manufacturer says its not designed for when there are so many other options? Do what you want, but like someone else pointed out, there is a reason Nosler does not recommend their BT's on elk-sized game. I don't know why, but I'll take their word for it.

Any of you guys saying the BT isn't an elk bullet ever killed anything with one? mtmuley

22 LR say they have a range of 1.5 miles on the box, but I believe they are not the preferred caliber of long range shooters.

Any of you guys saying the BT isn't an elk bullet ever killed anything with one? mtmuley

Not very likely...if they had, they may not be so fast on the keyboard.

I've shot deer, elk, moose, bears, sheep, and pronghorn with them...in .22, .243, .25, .284, .30, and .338.

Those dead animals never got the memo.

i would go with Noslers recommendations and go Partition or Accubond, that being said, i also agree with a few others that posted. ammo will be the least expensive part of the trip, so spend the extra money and buy or reload premium ammunition, it just doesn't make sense to spends big money on a trip and have it ruined by saving a few bucks on cheap bullets.

I got my information straight from nosler because I had the same question so if getting your information from the people who designed the bullet is the wrong information why not just load a mag cartridge with pistol powder the manufacturer doesn't know anything.

Thanks everyone for providing some great responses. Lots of different perspectives on this topic but I really appreciate getting some real world feedback from folk's who have experience in the field.

As a follow up question, would it be advisable to sight in with the BT and switch to the Accubond for the hunt? I understand the importance of sticking with the same cartridge once you're sighted in, just wondering if the BT's are similar enough to the AB's to practice with.

I will load the same cartridge with both BT's and Accubonds. In a couple of my rifles they are close but not exactly the same impact point. About 1 to 1 1/2 inches difference in point of impact at 100 yards. As long as you're aware of any impact difference you could practice with something different, but I always shoot whatever hunting load I have at the maximum distance I will take a shot. Ballistic charts are usually close, but every rifle is different so on the range verification is important to me.

I got my information straight from nosler because I had the same question so if getting your information from the people who designed the bullet is the wrong information why not just load a mag cartridge with pistol powder the manufacturer doesn't know anything.
I'd take in the field experience over what the manufacturer has to say every time. It's exactly how the Berger VLD became a game bullet. If you aren't comfortable because Nosler says don't use the BT on elk, don't use it. Simple as that. Or, you can believe the guys that are comfortable and have actually done it. mtmuley

But MT only partitions kill elk!! :)

To the OP. Use which ever you want and what your rifle shoots good. Either the BT or accubonds will kill elk. Shot placement is more important.

Yeah load whatever you want and when you get a shot on an elk and use a bullet that's not designed to penetrate an elk and it runs off you'll know why. A 22 will drop anything but do you hunt elk with it? No, because it's not designed to hunt elk with. Just because a couple guys do something that's not recommend by the manufacturer doesn't mean it's ok. I see guys pulling trailers way over the factory limits and they get it done just fine does that mean everyone should be doing it? If you are going to hunt elk buy bullets designed to do it. If you want to pull heavy trailers buy a truck that was designed to do it.

For your other question you need to stick with one and work your load with it. Different bullets and different powders and charges will effect accuracy same with seating depth and primers.

Does any have experience using Nosler Ballistic Tip (30-06, 180gr) on elk? This is not the trophy grade ammo, just regular ballistic tip. Nosler recommends the ammo for deer, pronghorn and hogs so I'm a little concerned the penetration of this bullet means I should not be using this round on an elk.

You will be absolutely fine with that load for elk. I'd venture to guess those telling you "no" have not used a BT on elk. I shoot the 168's in a .308 and 300 short mag. The 180's are only that much more of a good thing.

There's a guy over on 24hour that uses 180 BT's in a 300 WBY and kills an elk or two every year.

Yeah load whatever you want and when you get a shot on an elk and use a bullet that's not designed to penetrate an elk and it runs off you'll know why. A 22 will drop anything but do you hunt elk with it? No, because it's not designed to hunt elk with. Just because a couple guys do something that's not recommend by the manufacturer doesn't mean it's ok. I see guys pulling trailers way over the factory limits and they get it done just fine does that mean everyone should be doing it? If you are going to hunt elk buy bullets designed to do it. If you want to pull heavy trailers buy a truck that was designed to do it.

Ah, the old .22 rimfire strawman. Always a favorite on the internet.

Unfortunately, it has no relevance.

Miss fire,,, I should have used sealant.

Last edited:
Ah, the old .22 rimfire strawman. Always a favorite on the internet.

Unfortunately, it has no relevance.
It is relevant. It can do the job. I've seen many animals drop with one perfectly placed shot right behind the ear. 300 pound hogs hit the dirt one shot. Obviously it's a controlled environment and I get to stand 2 feet away.
So when you use stuff that's not designed for what you are trying to use it for and all of a sudden it doesn't work there's a reason and this is why companies have to put warning labels on products because people want to use it for something other than it's intended use.

So when you use stuff that's not designed for what you are trying to use it for and all of a sudden it doesn't work there's a reason and this is why companies have to put warning labels on products because people want to use it for something other than it's intended use.

Not picking on you Jasher, this just struck a funny chord with me. I always worry about the people who were dumb enough to result in the "this shampoo is for external use only" warning label. Gee, I drank the whole bottle but my hair is still frizzy . . .

Yeah but BT's work for elk, so this "all of a sudden it doesn't work" stuff is talking about events that do not occur.

And, I've got a pile of BT boxes in my reloading room. Never seen a "DONT USE THIS BULLET ON ELK" warning on one of them.

First elk I ever shot was with a .308 with a 150 gr. Ballistic tip around 200 yards. He went down then got up and ran and ran... Never again killed three with accubonds .270 wsm 140gr 1 shot kills

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back