Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting Boots

I know it sounds crazy, but I take a roll of duct tape on every hunt.!

You need to flip this 180, a guy would be crazy not to bring a roll of duct tape on an outdoors trip. I even add a roll of good electrical tape, works a little better for some uses (branded stuff is better in cold weather than the cheapo).

Kenetrek .......
I agree.

I grew up in Arizona and spent a lot of time hiking rocky, mountainous terrain. Since then I've lived in Utah and now Montana and I've spent many years hiking the Rocky Mountains. I've tried just about every boot that I could afford and I settled on Danners for many years. This year I bought a pair of Kenetreks and I've got to say that they are the best boot I've tried yet. I bought the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 boots and they are the lightest, best traction, most comfortable boots in that class that I've ever worn. Last year I couldn't keep up with a friend that wore a pair of the same boots, he was able to navigate snow covered steep slopes that my Danners just couldn't get a grip on. They are a stiff mountain boot which takes some breaking in but is a big advantage when you are going up and down steep slopes. I also tie my boots differently than most people and it helps to make the boot more flexible and comfortable, I no longer get heavy pressure at the front of my shins but the boot actually fits tighter than using a standard lacing technique.

I agree.
I also tie my boots differently than most people and it helps to make the boot more flexible and comfortable

OK, this is the second reference to "how you tie your boots" in this thread. Would one of you please educate us flat-landers, I still tie my boots the way mom taught when I was 3. Never been a problem in the woods and rolling prairie of the upper midwest, but I know things will be different in the hills.

I bought the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 boots and they are the lightest, best traction, most comfortable boots in that class that I've ever worn.
Agreed! Hunting in Montana mostly on western steep mountains my entire life, I have worn many various brands of boots. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's have by far been the best I've worn.

I use cabela's meindl boot and love them! Great ankle support and a durable boot. Just make sure if you break them in.

Speaking of Meindls from Cabelas. They are covered by their "Lifetime warranty." I have two pairs of their Meindl Denalis. One pair I bought in 2011. They've been through a lot and I just returned from WY after using them again on this year's hunt. The rand and sole are starting to come off the boots in the toe, so I chatted online with Cabelas. They promptly issued me a RMA number and they're giving me a new pair. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I'd highly recommend them if they fit you well.

The biggest problems you get into with boots coming out west from other places is that its rare to replicate miles of down hilling or side hilling that you get in the mountains. I can't imagine using a slip on boot in Colorado. In mountainous terrain with the stiffer mountain boots the technique of lacing has a lot to do with comfort and proper fit.

Everyone has different feet, different widths, different arch heights that will lead you to loving or hating a given boot. You have to get a boot fitted to your feet from any number of reputable brands, break them in and wear the right socks to avoid issues while hunting.

+1. I can't imagine trying to hunt in the mountains with a slip on boot that goes halfway up your leg.

Have you considered Crocs? Easily made waterproof by slipping on bread bags over your socks.

But seriously, I'm with the guys above, no way I'd wear a slip on boot.

This made me laugh.

You need to flip this 180, a guy would be crazy not to bring a roll of duct tape on an outdoors trip. I even add a roll of good electrical tape, works a little better for some uses (branded stuff is better in cold weather than the cheapo).

Duck tape makes up the bulk of my first aid kit. I would be scared to leave the truck without a generous portion wrapped around a trekking pole.

We are driving back from a central Colorado elk hunt. I wore elk tracker from red wing and broke them in accordingly also I work construction and am on my feet all day. No problems but as said before a lace up 100%.

I'd go with the Kenetreks with gators and make sure you use their wax to seal the boot. I hike for a living and no way in hell would I use slip ons in the mountains. Optics and boots are the two main things I would never skimp on

OK, this is the second reference to "how you tie your boots" in this thread. Would one of you please educate us flat-landers, I still tie my boots the way mom taught when I was 3. Never been a problem in the woods and rolling prairie of the upper midwest, but I know things will be different in the hills.

I use a modification of the 'Heel Lock' style shown in the video above. When they show the laces being brought up through the quick eyes I go all the way to the top of the boot and then lace the eyes downward and then tie the laces off.

I wear Kenetrek boots hunting and hiking in the mountains here. Something strong, durable that with handle all terrain. Kenetrek or Crispy..

Kenetrek Hands down! I have tried Zamberlain, Danner, Scarpa, etc and the Kenetreks have by far been the best boot for ME. Now you need to find what works for you. Good luck on your hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back