Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting Boots

Masterchachamp05

I am heading to Colorado on the 19th of October for elk hunting. Just curios what boots I should bring? I was thinking lacrosse slip on boots. Will they hold up to the terrain? Or better with a lace up boot? What have you folks used in the past? Thanks.

Where are you hunting? What type of terrain? If you are gonna be in the mountains at all you will want strong, lace up boots with support. You can find many threads in here about boots. At this point you need to be careful that you bring something broken in as well.....broke down feet with blisters make for a crappy hunt.

Depends on your hunting style and the weather. You are best served with Schnee's, Lowa, Kenetrek, La Sportiva, ect. in the $350+ range but can get away with some Danner's, Vasques, ect. in the $125 range. Your rubberized lacrosse boots might be good if there is lots of snow on the ground but will be miserable if there isn't. I wouldn't make them your only boots in the truck.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=randy+newberg+boots

Whatever you boots you decide on, better make sure they fit right break them in quick. Don't be like me:

IMG_2778.jpg

Luckily, that was just an April backpacking trip, not a hunt.

I have worn and plan to wear my muck boots. Woody Max I think they are. I thought that they would be horrible but when I used them last year I learned I was wrong. No, they do not give you all of the support of a good lace up boot but for me and the terrain in Eastern Oregon they were fine. In the snow nothing beats rubber boots in my opinion. I have a pair of Nicks custom boots I wear for work and it doesn't get any tougher than those but they are heavy. I think the best short answer would be both? I love hiking back to camp and being able to just slip the muck boots off without digging snow and debris out of the laces. But when the weather is nice out and I put my lightweight crappy danners on I feel much lighter. Best of both worlds I guess

I'm prone to twisting an ankle. No way I'd ever wear a slope on boot. Up is not a big deal, but down hill or side hill is a great place to bust a ankle. Add 75# of meat and it becomes a real issue. Twist an ankle and blisters will be the least of you problems.

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of lowas and love them, but did so back in February. If you're talking about picking up boots for a hunt in a few weeks / month, be mentally prepared to have torn up feet. Proper boots need 40-50 miles of hike to break in properly.

My best advice is to stock up on lukotape.

I use cabela's meindl boot and love them! Great ankle support and a durable boot. Just make sure if you break them in.

I picked up a pair of lowas and love them, but did so back in February. If you're talking about picking up boots for a hunt in a few weeks / month, be mentally prepared to have torn up feet. Proper boots need 40-50 miles of hike to break in properly.

My best advice is to stock up on lukotape.

If in a rush, thin poly sock "liners" do help some to reduce blister issues. Don't replace break in, but better than nothing.

If boots really fit properly, they won't tear up your feet. I've worn boots directly out of the box with o blisters whatsoever.

I have always been a big fan of Lowas, but have been running Scarpas for the last year and half. They are currently my go to.

If boots really fit properly, they won't tear up your feet. I've worn boots directly out of the box with o blisters whatsoever.

I've always said that boots don't need 40-50miles to break in... but feet do, if you are coming off the couch and then hike 5-6 miles a day for a week you are definitely getting blisters and it doesn't matter what boots you have.

I would suggest whatever boot you feel comfortable with. I personally like the lace up because I never know what terrain I am hiking in...or out of. Generally speaking, I can intend to hunt and follow game trails, and take the path of least resistance, but when it comes to cutting the distance to cut off an elk and get to where he is going to be, all bets are off. I use a higher lace up boot and coat it in a high quality waterproofing so that I can hunt any terrain, high or low, wet or dry. The biggest thing is to keep your feet comfortable. If you are on an extended hunt, the first or second day with a blister can make or break the rest of your hunting experience. I would also recommend taking some moleskin,. If you get a blister this will help. I have also used Duct tape. I know it sounds crazy, but I take a roll of duct tape on every hunt. There are many uses for it!

The biggest problems you get into with boots coming out west from other places is that its rare to replicate miles of down hilling or side hilling that you get in the mountains. I can't imagine using a slip on boot in Colorado. In mountainous terrain with the stiffer mountain boots the technique of lacing has a lot to do with comfort and proper fit.

Everyone has different feet, different widths, different arch heights that will lead you to loving or hating a given boot. You have to get a boot fitted to your feet from any number of reputable brands, break them in and wear the right socks to avoid issues while hunting.

I would suggest whatever boot you feel comfortable with. I personally like the lace up because I never know what terrain I am hiking in...or out of. Generally speaking, I can intend to hunt and follow game trails, and take the path of least resistance, but when it comes to cutting the distance to cut off an elk and get to where he is going to be, all bets are off. I use a higher lace up boot and coat it in a high quality waterproofing so that I can hunt any terrain, high or low, wet or dry. The biggest thing is to keep your feet comfortable. If you are on an extended hunt, the first or second day with a blister can make or break the rest of your hunting experience. I would also recommend taking some moleskin,. If you get a blister this will help. I have also used Duct tape. I know it sounds crazy, but I take a roll of duct tape on every hunt. There are many uses for it!

Ditto this. GJ

Have you considered Crocs? Easily made waterproof by slipping on bread bags over your socks.

But seriously, I'm with the guys above, no way I'd wear a slip on boot.

I use cabela's meindl boot and love them! Great ankle support and a durable boot. Just make sure if you break them in.

I picked up a pair of the "perfekt hiker light" version and they were the worst! Felt like my whole foot was a giant hotspot when walking on rocks or anything other than dirt. Thanks to Cabelas nice return policy I returned them for the non "light" versions and I love them! you can't even tell when you are walking on rocks and I didn't get a single hot spot or blister on either foot. They are a little on the heavy side but well worth it for how comfortable my feet were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back