WY moose sheep point fee increase

You cant apply for a unit without paying the point fee in the random for moose and sheep. If you apply, they automatically take the point fee.

Wow. I love Wyoming, have had great hunts there and met many terrific people on them, but what a dick move for the state to make!

Last edited:
Another bullet point to why BP/PP are bad deals for sportsmen. $150 a year for PP will eliminate economically eliminate another group from applying. Those who can afford the $150 fee, now have increased odds of drawing. More opportunity for the wealthy and less for the blue collar hunters.

Another bullet point to why BP/PP are bad deals for sportsmen. $150 a year for PP will eliminate economically eliminate another group from applying. Those who can afford the $150 fee, now have increased odds of drawing. More opportunity for the wealthy and less for the blue collar hunters.

Yep, and what do 12 year old NR kids do? Pretty tough for them to come up with $300 a year to buy points for sheep and moose.

I've only been putting in for moose points. I'm only a couple years away from drawing a cow moose tag, so I'll keep playing the game for a couple more years. I guess you have to weight the end goal against what's important to you. I want moose meat and know the goal is in sight.

I just don't think NR's will go away. Western hunting is getting more and more popular. Have you seen point creep in WY?

What I find interesting is that demand continues to go up, but we keep getting told that we need to recruit more hunters because our numbers are decreasing. I see more people today when I am in the field than I did ten years ago. Are there that many more NRs from the east that are now coming west?

What I find interesting is that demand continues to go up, but we keep getting told that we need to recruit more hunters because our numbers are decreasing. I see more people today when I am in the field than I did ten years ago. Are there that many more NRs from the east that are now coming west?

Part of this is due to the good economy we have right now. NR numbers should decrease with the next recession.

Part of this is due to the good economy we have right now. NR numbers should decrease with the next recession.

This. Hunter numbers are decreasing, but the popularity of western hunting is increasing amongst the ranks of current hunters. Recessions greatly decrease that popularity.

I was just doing points buying today. After reading this i decided to drop buying points for elk in WY, I am sure the stupid price hike is not far down the road. I only have one point anyway, I'm done.
I have 12 for Moose, 6 for lope, and 11 for deer. When they are drawn they are done, I hope there is a chance in hell to use the Moose points, even if I have to put in for a unit that is mostly private land and pay to play just to get out. I'm just too old to play this game anymore.

I've only been putting in for moose points. I'm only a couple years away from drawing a cow moose tag, so I'll keep playing the game for a couple more years. I guess you have to weight the end goal against what's important to you. I want moose meat and know the goal is in sight.

I hope you are right but your odds at that cow tag may be severely damaged by guys giving up on trying to draw a bull tag.

I hope you are right but your odds at that cow tag may be severely damaged by guys giving up on trying to draw a bull tag.

I figure point creep is going to go through the roof next year and for a couple years after that with people dumping points to get out of the game, but I'm still 4 or 5 years out on drawing my cow, so I think I'll be ok by then.

Although I would prefer a totally random system with no bp/pp, if there must be a bp/pp system, might as well make it cost something to weed out those that aren't serious. ( unlike MT). If you don't have $150 for the point, do you really have the resources to give a tag like this the dedication it's worthy of? You don't.
I'll pay the $150. And someday I'll spend a couple weeks hunting sheep in the Thorofare.

Although I would prefer a totally random system with no bp/pp, if there must be a bp/pp system, might as well make it cost something to weed out those that aren't serious. ( unlike MT). If you don't have $150 for the point, do you really have the resources to give a tag like this the dedication it's worthy of? You don't.
I'll pay the $150. And someday I'll spend a couple weeks hunting sheep in the Thorofare.

agreed. Montana has the worst possible system and somehow the powers-that-be have come up with a way to make it worse by eliminating waiting periods for points and selling points to babies. This is all point inflation "point creep."

When you under price a limited resource it leads too many people to try and consume it. Right now, everyone gets a point but nobody really has much of a chance.

Raising prices is about the only way to fix some of these ills.

No point system would be best for all trophy species.

Idaho has the best system for Trophy Species. You can only apply for one Trophy Species and by doing so your not eligible for the regular big game draw. Tag fees paid upfront. Straight draw without a point system. Idaho Residents have the best Trophy Species odds on the country. NR draw is good but could be better with a guaranteed 10% of tags.

With a young family I can't pay $150 a year to buy worthless points in Wyoming. But, I somehow had the resources to canoe and portage my way 28 miles into the BWCA Wilderness in Minnesota to kill a 12 year old bull moose and get it out, with wildfires burning around me, without losing a single ounce of meat.

Pretty bold statement saying I don't have the dedication to be worthy of a Wyoming moose tag... I know plenty of people who could easily afford the $150 a year without a second thought, that wouldn't give 10% the effort I would if we drew the same tag.

If you have the resources to do what you say you did in Minnesota, and would give the effort you claim you would in Wyoming, you have $150. If you don't, it isn't because you don't have it, it's because it's not a priority.
$150 is the cheapest part about hunting sheep, I assure you that.

Raising the price may be good for those that stay in the game. But as I said, I'd eat all the points for it to go random like ID

Last edited:
I can vouch for NoWiser's effort level and competence. A point being worth the money or not is just that, if it isn't worth it to him so be it.

That is a false premise. It doesn't cost $150, it costs $150 a year for 15 years, and if you want to share the experience with a kid you double that. This system prices out a lot of hard working and well meaning hunters. Folks on these boards go ballistic about the big $$$$ tags being sold in some states like UT because $30,000 prices them out. But what about the working families who are priced out at $3,000. Is "right" any cost and inconvenience I can bear and "wrong" any cost or limitation I can't? Or do we aspire to make our common wilderness more accessible to everyone?

If we really want free market principles to govern limited hunting then lets do it and be honest about it - just acknowledge that $$$ is king and just sell like rolexes. But if we think wildlife is a community asset that all citizens should have a chance to enjoy then we need to worry a lot less about ticket creep and focus a lot more on the state F&G/DNR and their "chrony capitalist" outfitter partners and all the little things they do to raise the costs and limit access to all able and willing hunters, regardless of income.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back