New from the land of Wildlife Capitalism

Berky

Hey Guys!

My name is Dan. I'm a Wisconsin native that has lived in Utah on and off for 5 years.

I'm a big bow hunter and have been pretty lucky on elk hunts in UT going 2 for 3 with archery equipment. Doing a general elk rifle tag with the rest of the state this year. We will see how it goes.

Hoping to share some experiences and find a hunting community. The people I run within the greater Ogden area look at me sideways when I talk about hunting.

Most of my work background has been in the hunting industry. I've worked for Gander Mountain, Scheels, Sportsman's Warehouse, MidwayUSA, and some other smaller outdoor companies.

Anyway, no need to bore anyone any longer!

Dan

Welcome. Please work to be a voice of reason in the state. There are some amazing people in Utah that really care about public lands, but have been given bad info. Having just moved from there it killed me to see how the political representatives act.

Welcome. Please work to be a voice of reason in the state. There are some amazing people in Utah that really care about public lands, but have been given bad info. Having just moved from there it killed me to see how the political representatives act.

I was shocked when having a conversation with two guys I know in elk camp a few weeks ago. They looked at me like I had antlers growing out of my ears when I said that Utah politicians should shove their land transfer and wildlife management plans where the sun don't shine.

When you said "Land Wildlife capitalism" I thought you were from Colorado! Where a minimum of 20% of tags are taken out of the draw to be sold to the highest bidder!

I was shocked when having a conversation with two guys I know in elk camp a few weeks ago. They looked at me like I had antlers growing out of my ears when I said that Utah politicians should shove their land transfer and wildlife management plans where the sun don't shine.

I have had MANY conversations with people on this subject and most of them do not understand the details. If you haven't listened to all of Randy's podcasts on the subject I highly recommend it. There is a lot of resentment in the state after the last two national monuments (happy to discuss this further over IM or in another thread if you wish. I think some of it is justified and some not) and people don't like seeing a heavy handed "big brother" in Washington. After some discussion on the details, most people start to come around, but you have to understand how to bring up the topic and discuss the details so you don't lose people at the beginning of the conversation.

I have had MANY conversations with people on this subject and most of them do not understand the details. If you haven't listened to all of Randy's podcasts on the subject I highly recommend it. There is a lot of resentment in the state after the last two national monuments (happy to discuss this further over IM or in another thread if you wish. I think some of it is justified and some not) and people don't like seeing a heavy handed "big brother" in Washington. After some discussion on the details, most people start to come around, but you have to understand how to bring up the topic and discuss the details so you don't lose people at the beginning of the conversation.

Good points. I've listen to some of Randy's podcasts, I'll listen to some more. I think what surprised me the most about my recent conversations is the ignorance of Utah State land sales and the whole sustainability of land vs selling it deal that they have.

To be straight with you, it's all pretty disheartening after coming from the midwest where public land is scarce to the west where they are doing their best to mess up our public lands. I've written to Rob Bishop's office on a few of issues. I think the BHA and TRCP are doing good work out here. I hope these Orgs (and ones like them) continue to experience explosive growth. One of the silver linings I see coming from these issues, is the cooperation with non-hunter type people. People in my circles that are granola munching backpackers and rock climbers are banding with hunters on these issues. Hopefully, when we win, those positive hunter/non-hunter relationships will continue to mend. Time will tell.

Good points. I've listen to some of Randy's podcasts, I'll listen to some more. I think what surprised me the most about my recent conversations is the ignorance of Utah State land sales and the whole sustainability of land vs selling it deal that they have.

To be straight with you, it's all pretty disheartening after coming from the midwest where public land is scarce to the west where they are doing their best to mess up our public lands. I've written to Rob Bishop's office on a few of issues. I think the BHA and TRCP are doing good work out here. I hope these Orgs (and ones like them) continue to experience explosive growth. One of the silver linings I see coming from these issues, is the cooperation with non-hunter type people. People in my circles that are granola munching backpackers and rock climbers are banding with hunters on these issues. Hopefully, when we win, those positive hunter/non-hunter relationships will continue to mend. Time will tell.

One of the recent podcasts focused directly on politics and it made me realize how much weight a phone call can have. Im sad to admit it took me years to send my first email to a state representative, and still havent called their offices. After listening to that podcast I will start calling as well.

You are correct, many dont see how many acres are being sold every year. Its becoming more and more visible with BHAs emails. Before I moved, I had several people at work watching the issue as well, some of which are not hunters (you are right it is upsetting more than just the hunting community).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back