Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Retirement options

VikingsGuy

As my wife and I look towards retirement we are looking at a move from MN towards the Rockies or Southwest. Lot's of things go into this obviously, but one element is hunting opportunity. MT, ID, WY, UT and CO have too much winter for us, so looking at AZ, NM & NV. Of those three which have better pronghorn and elk opportunity for residents? By "better opportunity" I mean public land access, number of tags, success rates, cost, etc. So, what is the wisdom of HT? Which of AZ, NM or NV would be a hunter's best residency choice?

For hunting I'd choose NM hands down. With the point systems in the other states, you could be waiting a very long time for elk and may never have a chance to hunt pronghorn.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes and hunting was a priority, I'd rent in AZ for a year, gain residency, and buy a lifetime license. Then I'd pick up and move to NM permanently and have a blast with their random draw. You should be able to hunt elk dang near every year with equal odds at great hunting for all of their other big game.

Good luck!

My wife and I are planning for retirement as well. She said if I get a house in Wyoming she gets on somewhere in the Caribbean.

For hunting I'd choose NM hands down. With the point systems in the other states, you could be waiting a very long time for elk and may never have a chance to hunt pronghorn.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes and hunting was a priority, I'd rent in AZ for a year, gain residency, and buy a lifetime license. Then I'd pick up and move to NM permanently and have a blast with their random draw. You should be able to hunt elk dang near every year with equal odds at great hunting for all of their other big game.

Good luck!
Now that is the type of HT thinking I was hoping for!

I am in Colorado Springs and I would tell you that our climate is VERY agreeable( I am originally from IN) as opposed to MN. While we have 4 seasons, we also have over 300 days of sunshine and NO humidity. I am a big proponent of it.

Good luck!

That's good advice. Also, I'd find a little spare work to fund a hunt to Wyoming every year too.

The AZ regs say, "If a lifetime license holder subsequently changes resident status from Arizona, the licensee must then purchase non- resident stamps, tags, and permits. A nonresident tag or stamp can accom- pany your lifetime resident license. The lifetime license will remain legal for the taking of all wildlife as permitted by law."

In practice does this mean a now non-resident, former resident lifetime license holder gets put in draw with residents but then pays extra non-resident fees or they get treated just like other non-residents for all purposes? It is not clear on its face, but if the later it is much less useful for the transient retiree.

My understanding is that they pay the nonresident tag fees but are put into the resident draw, which is a huge benefit. The AZ nonresident tags themselves are not horrible, it's that nonresident license each year and the dismal draw odds that are the killers.

This is my understanding of how it works, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

No elk,antelope,deer or retiree's in NM.....LOL. You either love it or can't wait to leave.
I choose NM over any state I wished.
But it is the wild west compared to most any state I've been to in the last 20yrs. Like MT & ID 30 yrs ago.
Convenience is a foreign concept. A paved road is rare.
Take her to SF & see some sights.
If she likes it, your golden.

Good luck!

Disagree. A resident can elk hunt every season in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and Idaho. Probably others. In some cases, you can do this and also build points.

Disagree. A resident can elk hunt every season in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and Idaho. Probably others. In some cases, you can do this and also build points.

He specifically said those states are not options.

Last edited:
One option would be southwestern Utah. The climate in St. George is very mild in the winter and rarely has snow. The summers are hot but not as scorching as either Las Vegas (which is an hour and a half away) or Phoenix. It's a reasonable size city (area is about 110,000) and is close to national parks and southern Utah scenery and recreation. Frankly, it's a much prettier setting than the parched and barren landscapes of southern Nevada or the metro areas in Arizona and, I suspect, has much cleaner air.

I would choose NM out of the options that you mentioned. I'm no expert but it seems like AZ and NV tags are harder to come by.

One option would be southwestern Utah. The climate in St. George is very mild in the winter and rarely has snow. The summers are hot but not as scorching as either Las Vegas (which is an hour and a half away) or Phoenix. It's a reasonable size city (area is about 110,000) and is close to national parks and southern Utah scenery and recreation. Frankly, it's a much prettier setting than the parched and barren landscapes of southern Nevada or the metro areas in Arizona and, I suspect, has much cleaner air.

Are their good odds for Utah residents? Seems tough for NR.

You can hunt general elk every year though the general units can be tough hunting. Archery deer you could likely do every year and rifle deer every other year depending on the unit. Cow elk about every year to every other year or so depending on the unit. The best antelope option in Utah is to apply in Wyoming. Moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep and buffalo are all "struck by lightening" odds but that is true everywhere in the west. Fantastic waterfowl hunting in northern Utah and 107 day season with lots of public options. Not sure about the waterfowl opportunities in southern Utah (I live in northern Utah) but probably no worse than NV, AZ or NM.

NM is a third world nation. It's nice to visit and leave.

I'd suggest you travel the West a bit before making a decision. You're excluding states based on a preconceived notions.

NM is a third world nation.

Says the man from Idaho . . . .

I'd suggest you travel the West a bit before making a decision.

Yup, in the plan. I really appreciate the wisdom of HT, but not up and moving basis this post. I have lived in various spots around the country so we are not going into this blind.

You're excluding states based on a preconceived notions.

Not sure where that comes from other than preference to live warmer that CO, WY & MT. And feel pretty comfortable with my preconceived notions about my dislike for snow.

Can draw deer every year in NM, elk can be hunted, but prime units take years. Someone mentioned New Mexico is a 3rd world nation. I agree. Lot of Medicaid and lot of drugs and gang land violence. Avoid the cities.

Antelope is easier to draw as a nonresident.

Native, but I love the culture. Have to avoid the pitfalls.

Can draw deer every year in NM, elk can be hunted, but prime units take years. Someone mentioned New Mexico is a 3rd world nation. I agree. Lot of Medicaid and lot of drugs and gang land violence. Avoid the cities.

Antelope is easier to draw as a nonresident.

Native, but I love the culture. Have to avoid the pitfalls.

Too bad to hear. 20 years ago I was 100% certain to retire to the dessert southwest, but now it seems to get dicier and dicier. Crime, poverty, drugs -- if I wanted that I would just stay in the city (but we do have a ton of water up here vs SW).

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back