Late season Montana Elk

BBHPRO

Hello everyone! My first post so I apologize in advanced if I cross any lines of etiquette. I currently live near the twin cities in MN and have a brewing addiction for chasing elk in the mountains.(like everyone else here I imagine) I'm currently waiting patiently to return to CO 10/12 for my third season of elk hunting. I'm lucky enough to be able to get a second elk hunt in this year and plan to hit MT as well around 11/16. I have a FS cabin reserved in HD 315 near HD 580 and that is plan A anyway. My major concerns are access related. Can I reasonably expect to drive my 4x4 f150 to a Forrest service cabin at that time of year?
Any other tips anyone feels like offering I'm all ears!

Here are couple I've learned in two seasons.......
Get out and hunt when you can while you can!
Get in shape! Lots of cardio, plus get your pack on and go up and down as much as you can. This makes the hunt I wait for all year so much more enjoyable while in the moment and is vital if you do have success.
Have a good knife or multiple good knifes with a sharpener.
Have a good pack.
Don't be afraid to try! I hunt public land in CO that I found myself and spend very little money beside license cost to do it.

I have enjoyed reading this site for months so figured I throw my 2 cents in. I tried to attach a photo to brag a little and explain my screen name.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,776
I would prepare for the worst case. That being absolutely no way to get the truck to the cabin and you have to hike your stuff in. Some years its light, others could be several feet of snow and sub zero weather that time of year...just depends on your luck I guess..

Sounds good thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it's the Crandell creek cabin ;). Definitely plan to bring chains, thanks! I can hardly wait is it October yet? I hope everyone has memorable hunts this year!

Thanks again

I believe the cabin is around 8500 feet. Didn't plan to hunt a specific elevation just planned to put a lot of miles on the boots and see what I can find

I believe the cabin is around 8500 feet. Didn't plan to hunt a specific elevation just planned to put a lot of miles on the boots and see what I can find

Nah, it's about 6500' ASL. Shields river road can get drifted over in a few spots on the way in, you might want to bring a grain shovel. Just stay on the road, if you need to chain up, do it sooner than later.

Now you went and did it.....all of the BBH machines around me have vanished :( I guess I REALLY have to get to the woods now!! Welcome and have a good season.

Thanks for all the intel I really appreciate it!
Yeah the picture is real I won $10k playing a video game(twice actually but who's counting)
No luck with loaning the BBH girls as guides though they seemed to disappear once all the money was gone?

There was a time in college, my buddies and I would spend a small fortune on Thursday nights at the Korner Club playing big buck hunter. Good times...

I've had tubs at the Korner Club!! I'm thinking I would have really enjoyed going to school in that town.

Hopefully most of you have more elk meat in the freezer then me ��! I had a great hunt in CO again this year but unfortunately only able to brew up tag soup. I chased a herd of 12 up a mountain containing three legal bulls with plans to shot anything legal. One of the bulls was a very nice mature bull, other was a small 5x5, and the third had one legal side and one very small side with a small branch at the end. As I crested the peak sitting at 113 yards was the smallest of the three. I had my bead on him but couldn’t pull the trigger with delusions of getting a shot at “big Hank” after deciding not to shoot I glasses the entire area looking for the others and no other elk in sight. I came back to take my shot at the young bull and he was no where to be found. That was day 4 they were the only elk I saw and I never got another look. Oh well still had a blast! Times flying by and I’m heading to Montana on Tuesday to hopefully rectify my elk meat issue ��. Can’t wait I wish I didn’t need to work so much! Anyway I got some great feedback on here with this post so I figured I ask again. Any chance I’ll be able to drive into the Crandell creek cabin on the 16th I know a lot can still happen before then but I think you guys have had lots of snow out there already.

Thanks again!

I would expect a lot of snow. It seems the weather pattern is about 30 days early this year. Good luck and I hope you get a good one.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back