Dry Ice

pablodiablo

I want to spare no expense at keeping any potential meat safe while I pack out the animal and transport it home. Does anyone use dry ice in their coolers or is that a bad idea? I was thinking of using some dry ice to supplement my block ice jugs but it got me to thinking, would it be better to use all dry ice in my coolers?

Thanks!

My experience with dry ice is that it only lasts for a few days therefore it gives your frozen I jugs in the cooler a few more days. It just depends on how far away from an ice machine you are

It does work well when traveling by plane though

I've kept meat in a cooler for 7 days just using regular block ice. Covering the coolers with an old sleeping bag helps.

I filled ice 1 time right after putting the warm meat in the cooler. I see no need for dry ice.

Also make sure you are not putting to much meat in one cooler and try and spread the meat out. I use 2 120qt coolers per elk. as the meat cools it can then be condensed into a smaller cooler.

Let the meat cool to near air temps before putting it in a cooler. For dry ice wrap it in a lot of layers of news paper then a few bath towels
Otherwise it can freeze and crack your cooler.

We used dry ice for 2 antelope in one cooler. It actually froze the hind quarter solid. it does work well and would supplement other ice sources nicely, however, it didn't last very long.

I've heard that as dry ice gives off CO2 it will help fight off the growth of bacteria on the meat since it displaces the oxygen. Not sure if there is any truth to it but it makes sense to me

When I go hunting I typically bring one good cooler, a yeti 65 filled with block ice and a big piece of dry ice and then several cheap Coleman coolers. The dry ice will keep the block ice frozen absolutely solid for 7-10 days, as long as your never open the cooler. Once I have an animal down I distribute the meat and block ice between all the coolers.

Dry ice certainly isn't necessary but as long as you don't have it directly touching meat it wont hurt it and it definitely keeps it cold.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back