Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SW MT Elk Rut and Weather...

Wrong Burgundy

With the weather going from hot and smoky to cold, snowy and (sometimes) windy, what is the overall consensus of when we see the rut timing mixed with potentially crappy weather -- where I am headed for a week, the forecast is snow, one or two days of high, gusty wind, some rain, a bit more snow, then it calms down for Thurs - Sat.
How much will this shut down elk? I feel when the bad stuff passes, even with low temps and some snow, the bulls will be on their feet looking for love, and some cow calling, following tracks, etc. will be part of the plan. Sage advice from those who have hunted in the same conditions for years appreciated...

Not experienced this much snow during rut before. Previously it was an inch or two, and didn't last.

Currently I can tell you bulls I've been chatting with for 2 weeks no longer return my calls. Been tough since Saturday.

I would stay out of the high stuff. Morning snow is loud because of melting and refreezing. The elk are still hot but good luck getting close in that snow.

Where I was at this weekend by butte they were going nuts when the snow stopped and sun came out Saturday afternoon. I ended up taking a bull that night. Lots of activity and made for a good hunt. I'd say you're in for a good hunt when the weather isn't too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back