Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need opinions on meat grinder

Get the Cabela's 3/4hp or 1hp and keep in mind Cabela's lifetime warranty on Cabela's branded items.

10+ years using the same 3/4hp Cabela's grinder with 200-300lbs ground/year.

I bought a refurb LEM off their website (3/4 hp ) because I'm cheap, and it's been going like a champ for 8 years. I usually put abut half an elk and a few deer through it every year.

I got no e from harbor freight yes I know but it's worked great for the last 8 years and it didn't cost a fortune 50 with coupon

I've got a cheapo $300 1/2 HP rig purchased at the farm store many years ago.
Typically run a couple hogs, an elk and 3-4 deer through it every year without issue.

Used to have a great big 4" Hobart commercial model. Would grind anything fast, but took forever to clean it up.
The smaller ones are easier to clean.

Get something with sausage stuffing nozzles.
Making your own Italian, breakfast or other sausage is fun.

I have a one arm-power grinder my dad gave to me. It's probably 60-70 years old and works great for my purposes. I grind my burger in small batches throughout the year usually 15-20 lbs at a time. The trimming usually takes longer than the actual grinding. You will find no chewy bits that have gone through the grinder in any of my burger.

0515161151-00.jpg

3/4, no question. As noted, you will never regret purchasing a larger grinder. I have a 1HP LEM and love it. Prep time is greatly reduced as you increase grinder size because the meat chunks can be larger. Just need to clean out the silver skin and sinew.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but 3/4 is not needed. It take an extra 2 mins to cut pieces slightly smaller. If you personally want a bigger grinder than more power to you, but in no way will you be upset with a 1/2. If you were to gather all the recommendations of "go bigger" or "spend the extra couple bucks" thrown out on hunting forums you are spending thousands of extra dollars that is just not needed. Now, like I said, if you "want" to spend extra than more power to you.

I have an older, smaller Cabelas grinder that has worked well for me. From everything I've heard, the new Cabelas Carnivore grinders are really really good and that's what I'm going to get. Plus like fair chase mentioned, they have the lifetime warranty.

Not sure how much you shop on cabelas.com but they have site-wide, 10% off sales plus free shipping every month or two so if you can wait for one of those sales you could get it even cheaper.

I have an older, smaller Cabelas grinder that has worked well for me. From everything I've heard, the new Cabelas Carnivore grinders are really really good and that's what I'm going to get. Plus like fair chase mentioned, they have the lifetime warranty.

Not sure how much you shop on cabelas.com but they have site-wide, 10% off sales plus free shipping every month or two so if you can wait for one of those sales you could get it even cheaper.

they do hometown heroes a few times a year which will get you the employee pricing.

I used a buddies LEM and was really disappointed. I have a STX and it walks all over his LEM for a lot less $$$

Another vote for the STX. I have one and it rolled through 5 elk, 3 antelope, and 1 deer last year without breaking a sweat. Got it off Amazon after reading hundreds of positive reviews including those from hunters. I am very happy with mine and it was very reasonably priced.

1/2 hp cabelas is what I have .... honestly doesn't matter imo. Trimming sinew, silver skin, a keeping the cylinder, hopper, and meat cold before using takes the time and makes the process super easy. The grinding is the shortest part of the whole deal.

Grinder attachment on the wife's KitchenAid Mixer! Seriously.

Lol, I broke ours in under 5 min. But not the grinder, the gear in the mixer! If you need food grade grease I've got plenty to spare.

I've bought a half horse LEM and I'd did good but the switch/board fried in it and I can't get a replacement. My next one will be more of a commercial unit as apparently I am too ruff with my meat grinders.

Lol, I broke ours in under 5 min. But not the grinder, the gear in the mixer! If you need food grade grease I've got plenty to spare.

I've bought a half horse LEM and I'd did good but the switch/board fried in it and I can't get a replacement. My next one will be more of a commercial unit as apparently I am too ruff with my meat grinders.
Wow. I've put hundreds of pounds of meat through mine with nary a hitch. 6 pronghorns and 1 whitetail just last year.

I'm also looking for a grinder. Quick question on the Cabela's grinders, is everyone talking about their Carnivore, Pro Series, or Heavy-Duty grinders? A Cabela's just opened in Albuquerque. Thanks.

I'm also looking for a grinder. Quick question on the Cabela's grinders, is everyone talking about their Carnivore, Pro Series, or Heavy-Duty grinders? A Cabela's just opened in Albuquerque. Thanks.

Mine is the similar to the Carnivore. I believe that most of us are referring to the commercial-grade grinders.

I used to have my own wild game processing/custom slaughter business on the side; got too big n took away family/hunting/fishing time so I shut her down. I have the big boy cabelas grinder; can't comment on the smaller ones, n I have nothing but good to say about it. It never missed a beat w doing literally 100+ wild game animals along w 20-30 show hogs n a sprinkling of sheep n goats for good measure. The grinder never overheated, broke down, or slowed up. A little advice, before n after use spray it down w mineral oil; helps immensely w clean up. Hope this helps

I have the Cabelas 1hp and the 1 3/4 hp, including their mixer attachment and their 30lb vertical stuffer. There is nothing I hate more than having to fight a grinder with a small throat and constantly having to use the plastic plunger. My opinion is to buy the biggest throat grinder you can afford, really makes things easier I find, especially if you choose to do a double grind on a particular batch.

I use the Cabelas 1 3/4 hp big a$$ grinder and it can flat grind some meat! It is somewhat heavy, so each time I move it I kinda wish for a lighter model ... but I'm very pleased with its performance.

There is nothing I hate more than having to fight a grinder with a small throat and constantly having to use the plastic plunger. My opinion is to buy the biggest throat grinder you can afford, really makes things easier I find, especially if you choose to do a double grind on a particular batch.

I agree. When you're in production mode, nothing is more painful. I've run/own most of those listed here. I currently have a 1hp LEM. If small batching sausage, I'll use the Kitchen Aid, but if more than 20ish lbs, i'll get out the big one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back