MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Need opinions on meat grinder

bigdonniebrasco

sub $400

Looking at Cabelas, LEM, Weston... etc.

I'm open to anything. Won't be working it to death, maybe 250 pounds a year MAX.

1/2 horse or 3/4 horse?

Thanks!

Don

I have a 1/2 horse Cabelas grinder that I have been using for 7 or 8 years without any problems. We normally butcher 2 to 3 animals a year, so it doesnt go thru a ton of use. Trimming and prepping take much longer than grinding. I would say that it might take us an hour, maximum, to grind and bag an elk. We like to use the 1 lb bags, instead of butcher paper, and switching out bags is the bottleneck in the process. I don't know why I will ever need to increase to a larger unit.

Now the next person will tell me how much they love their LEM, and I'll be back where I started LOL!

I kinda figured that as long as I am looking at all metal gears, and .5 - 1 horse, it's probably a toss up.

Like asking for the "best" all round deer cartridge!

Thanks for the input!

Don

At about $.50/lb it is pretty cheap to have a local meat shop grind it and package it.

I have a cabelas 1/2 horse for three years... 3 elk and 5 deer still works great and looks like new

I have the cabelas 3/4hp. Processed 8 animals last fall, never needed to slow down. Get the foot pedal. No reverse was never a problem. Spring for the 3/4.

1/2 horse cabela's here and love it. For the small increase get the big one!

At about $.50/lb it is pretty cheap to have a local meat shop grind it and package it.

That seems good until the local meat shop hires an idiot and doesn't watch them close enough and your burger stinks the house up when you cook it. My Cabelas grinder was one of the best investments I've ever made! We apparently don't have dependable meat shops around here.....

I used a buddies LEM and was really disappointed. I have a STX and it walks all over his LEM for a lot less $$$

That is not cheap when you consider if you run a few animals through a year, plus is you want to get into sausage making you really need to buy one anyway. That 50 cents a pound can buy a grinder pretty fast.

I have the 1/2 horse Cabelas grinder, I've run quite a few deer through it with no problem. I've made a couple batches of salsiccia with it as well. I've never felt it bog down or that I am under powered. One friend has the #8 LEMs and complains about it being under powered and slow. A different friend has the #22 and loves it. I think the key is don't settle for a grinder that is just big enough, get the next size up. Also, get the foot pedal for whichever grinder you choose. Makes life much easier

3/4, no question. As noted, you will never regret purchasing a larger grinder. I have a 1HP LEM and love it. Prep time is greatly reduced as you increase grinder size because the meat chunks can be larger. Just need to clean out the silver skin and sinew.

Our 1-hp Weston cranks out meat and stuffs sausage faster than I can feed it. I think it was $550 shipped about 7 years ago. Lots of elk and deer through it since then. Paid for itself long ago.

I love my 3/4 horse Cabelas grinder. I grind around 10 deer a year between my family and have no problems in the 4 years I've had it. I may be wrong on this but I have heard Weston makes the Cabelas grinders ?

I have a 3/4 hp Bass Pro Shop grinder that's made by LEM. It grinds like crazy and I've never had an issue with it. LIke others have said, you'll never be upset for getting bigger than you might need.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back