Caught With My Pants Down

Coop

Anyone ever had an experience like this? I was up and at em early yesterday morning, and was chasing bugles before I could even see. To make the experience even better, I brought my wife along who has never been out during the elk rut in Montana, and we we were in elk all morning, including three different heard bulls with their cows. The first opportunity I got on a bull was on the border of private land, and after about 45 minutes of calling trying to pull him onto public, he lost interest. We packed it up in chase of another bugle a few ridges over, and after about 1/4 mile of hiking, the Papa Murphey's that I had for dinner the night before decided to hit me. No problem, I have TP and I have done this a million times. So I do my business which of course takes a little longer than normal because of that delicious meal, and I hear a bugle from a ridge over right in the middle of my duties. Alright! I will chase it when I finish. So I finish up and as I am pulling up my pants, I see movement not 30 yards away...three bulls had snuck in on me in the middle of my business and busted out before I even knew what had happened! My wife, the bulls, and God himself, I'm sure were all laughing at me! But I did learn a few lessons...Papa Murphey's does not make the best pregame meal, no bathroom breaks within 15 minutes of calling, and most importantly, don't ever let your guard down!!

Have a great week guys!

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh a bit myself! I have always had a fear of this happening to me but thankfully has not yet. Glad to hear you had such a good day in the woods though, apart from the dreadful bathroom break!

My father in-law once told me a similar story of needing to take a leak and getting caught with the gun in his hands when a nice buck appeared.

My uncle was shitting over a log when he shot a whitetail buck one time years ago. I laugh every time I hear the story... He was hunting with a rifle though and not a bow. Better luck next time fella!!!!

I have heard stories like this, but never experienced it myself. Made me smile!

Two years ago I had a 330 class bull come in at a hard trot as I was leaning against a lodgepole getting ready to do business. The bull got within 10 yards of me before I yelled at him.

Amongst my waterfowing friends we have a plan to get birds stirred up by doing "something random
and stupid".......which often times means discreetly dropping trou. More often than not it seems to work.

Every good hunter does this at least once every few seasons. Take solace in the fact that it is an indication of prowess as a hunter.

I've had it happen twice. Once hanging over a log and a nice bull came in and game over. Another in full squat and a giant buck appears then I stand up and my wallet falls out of my pocket and right onto my fresh log cabin. Epic fail! Wallet was toast

Had a 5x4 bull and cow come running in about 1 week ago while I was taking a leak. I'm sure I looked funny when I grabbed my bow and my pants were still half down. No shot.

You might be onto something here. If not seeing elk drop your pants and take a crap keeping your bow in your hands. LOL

Amongst my waterfowing friends we have a plan to get birds stirred up by doing "something random
and stupid".......which often times means discreetly dropping trou. More often than not it seems to work.
Never fails...There's been a handful of times when birds flew over me with my waders peeled down to take a leak. Another time I shot a dove before I could zip up.

Great story. And yes, it happens to all of us I'm sure. 2 years ago had a cow come up over the rise in the meadow staring at me with my you know what in my hand mid pee. I slammed the valve shut, slid back behind my gun that was sitting on the sticks, and somehow was still able to put her down. Great memory.

It's hard for me to take my bow when I have to relive myself in the woods. Even to filter water it seems like a chore. But you never know, especially like you said how slowly they move in after a call. We've left after calling only to bust a herd or animal coming. Thanks for the laugh. Hope you and your wife luck the rest of the season.

Last year I was hiking up a hill when I had a very sudden urge to sit over a log and while I was admiring the view out walks the biggest deer I saw all year. Maybe 50 yards from me and totally broadside but my rifle was about 5' away and when I moved to grab it the old buck took off.

In college I called a bull into my buddy in the Bridgers and he arrowed it at last light. We boned it out and carried a bit back to the truck in heavy downfall, and would return to get the rest in the safer daylight. We celebrated that night at Buffalo Wild Wings.... the remainder of the pack the next day was fun.

Might be a lesson here about slowing down, stopping and looking around now and then, instead trying to constantly log miles.

My uncle shot his one and only elk with a rifle while his pants down and he was squatting. I heard that story growing up and never leave my rifle or bow out of reach, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back